Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is 50% of $1402 ?

BobKamman
Level 15

I am doing a Schedule E rental worksheet for a property owned 50% by my client.  I enter the 100% amount and it should show the 50% amount in the adjoining column.  However, on Line 16a for real estate taxes, I enter $1,402 and the 50% number comes out as $700.  

Anyone else get this result?  It reminds me of a problem I had with a TRS-80 back in the late 70s.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That's funny.  However, my test file gives me $701.

You have probably done this, but just in case ...

• Have you double checked it shows the ownership percentage is 50.000000?
  • Have you double checked if you entered any personal days?
  • Have double checked that nothing is entered for an owner occupied rental?
  • Have you deleted the $1402 and entered it again?
  • Close ProSeries, open it, update it, and open the client file?
Otherwise, I have no idea, as it works in my test file.  Sometimes these weird quirks can be eliminated by deleting the worksheet and re-entering it, but the problem with that is then your assets would be deleted as well, so you probably don't want to do that.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That's funny.  However, my test file gives me $701.

You have probably done this, but just in case ...

• Have you double checked it shows the ownership percentage is 50.000000?
  • Have you double checked if you entered any personal days?
  • Have double checked that nothing is entered for an owner occupied rental?
  • Have you deleted the $1402 and entered it again?
  • Close ProSeries, open it, update it, and open the client file?
Otherwise, I have no idea, as it works in my test file.  Sometimes these weird quirks can be eliminated by deleting the worksheet and re-entering it, but the problem with that is then your assets would be deleted as well, so you probably don't want to do that.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15
Yes, tried all that except for deleting the worksheet.   I changed the 1402 to 1403 and it comes up with 701.  My theory is that 701 is a prime number and has some magical qualities, at least on the version of Windows I am using.  I entered 1402 on the lines for commissions, and management fees, and the results were 701.  But then I entered it on the line for utilities, and the answer again was 700.  
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
"My theory is that 701 is a prime number and has some magical qualities"

LOL.  :smile:
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I've occasionally seen some odd rounding.  Just guessing but I think it tries to plug a couple dollars here and there to get the totals to be 50/50, otherwise it ends up rounding up all of the odd numbers.
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
According to Jethro "Naught x Naught = 0"
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers