Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do you use to document due diligence for a newborn

lbones
Level 5

I have a client that has a newborn, born this fall.  The client has indicated to me that they only have had wellness a visit and they did not receive any paperwork which could be used for my due diligence showing the child lives at their address.  I have a copy birth certificate and social security card.  I believe I will get the 1095 but none of these (I believe) I can use for my due diligence.  In a case like this, what can be used for my records? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Just document the questions you asked and how they answered. Unless you have reason to believe their lying to you, that should be sufficient.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Just document the questions you asked and how they answered. Unless you have reason to believe their lying to you, that should be sufficient.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you think they are shady enough to invent a kid for tax purposes, you could ask for a DNA test and hire a private investigator to follow them home.  Or you could just fire them.

If they are folks that you know aren't that shady, the birth certificate and Social Security card would work for me - CAGMC.

Slava Ukraini!
lbones
Level 5

Thank you for your quick response

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: what do you use to document due diligence?

I heard some use their sheer arrogance.  I never tried it.  Just thought sharing is caring....

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

There is more of a problem when you're trying to document where a 3-year-old lived -- especially if it was with the grandparents.  

The grandparents took the kid to the doctor, but the insurance (Medicaid) was under the absent mother's name and the paperwork didn't show who actually showed up.  IRS also asked for school records.  Yeah, sure.  

We paid the $60 ticket to Tax Court, and the case was first assigned to an Appeals Officer 800 miles away.  Since the key evidence was the credibility of the taxpayers, we asked that it be transferred to a local office.  Request denied.  Well, OK, we'll just wait until it gets closer to trial date and the case is transferred to one of Chief Counsel's lawyers.  Never deal with a GS-12 when a GS-14 is standing by.

@joshuabarksatlcs tells us, "I heard some use their sheer arrogance."  Not sure who he meant, but it could apply to a lot of IRS employees.   After a local meeting, IRS dropped the case.