Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the remedies if custodial parent will not sign form 8332

kingjamed
Level 1

Her lawyers state the the Divorce decree should work, however it includes a statement saying Non-custodial can claim dependent if he is current on child support.  So that negates that option does it not?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mojocpa
Level 7

For a divorce final before 2008, I believe,  the divorce degree would have worked. The lawyer should stay away from tax law. The only way is to get the 8332 signed. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
mojocpa
Level 7

For a divorce final before 2008, I believe,  the divorce degree would have worked. The lawyer should stay away from tax law. The only way is to get the 8332 signed. 

0 Cheers
kingjamed
Level 1
Decree is pre-2008 but has the stipulation about child support in it.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
As long as he is current with child support, I don't see a problem personally.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

If the divorce was after 2008, the IRS will only accept the 8332 as a release for the exemption.

If it is stated clearly in the Decree what years the non custodial parent can claim the dependent exemption and that the custodial parent will provide all necessary tax forms for this purpose, then she is compelled by the decree to complete the 8332. If it doesn't specify that, your client has no options.

0 Cheers
Maxine
Level 4

Since the non-custodial parents only recourse (starting with 2008)  is to take the custodial parent to court.  I now file the non-custodial with kids (no signed 8332) and let it reject, then refile without the kids so that client's attorney has a copy of what the return should have been, the reject notice, and copy of the return without the kids they should have been able to claim.  Yes they have to spend money to go to court to get the money but it seems to work.  In a couple of cases the client's attorney has been able to uses this to get it settled without going to court.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I've done this for clients as well.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
That's a great tip, Thanks for the info.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
That sounds like a lot of time and money.  Finding the right person to threaten the offending party with broken knee caps usually is just as effective and it could possibly be done for the price of a case or two of beer :fist::fist:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Mt-Juliet--CPA
Level 3

A Signed 8332 is required from the Custodial Parent

0 Cheers