Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is with the damn amended return finalizatin date being pushed back OVER AND OVER?

FTAX
Level 5
Thousands of dollars every year for this software and I have to waste my time typing the information into the PDF b/c they are manipulating us into not using the amended returns yet.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If it is the client's fault for the mistake, make them wait until it is ready.

As for why it is late, the IRS has DRAFT instructions for 2018, but those Instructions are not Final yet.  Intuit rarely does any programming without Finalized Forms and Instructions.  So I suspect the main reason for the delay is because of the IRS's delayed final Instructions, not because of Intuit.

EDIT:  The IRS has now finalized the Instructions (on February 22nd), so it is likely that Intuit will finalize their things within a couple of weeks or so.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
26 Comments 26
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Why would you have so many amended returns already? Filing season has been open less than a month.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5
i do a lot of returns and people e-file early, then something they forgot about shows up in the mail
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Shame on you for letting clients file before they have all their paperwork.

0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5
How the hell would I know they've opened a new bank account or forgotten they've collected a week of unemployment 12 months earlier?  You mustn't do too many returns.
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
well... hmmm.... you could ask them....kinda like part of the stuff we normally do..... oh...and I do about 700 returns..
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I prepare just under 600 returns and I ask many questions. This is part of being a professional tax preparer...you don't rely on the client to tell you everything, you have to ask about everything, especially for those that come in early.

I run down the list of potential income items with every client in front of me to be sure they or I haven't missed anything.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
It does happen from time to time to me too. But when it does, they KNOW I prepare the amended on MY schedule as opposed to theirs. Plus they pay me $150 amend and more depending on what they missed. Money is their punishment.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Yikes, Im too nice, I need to charge more for amending!

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Im sure we are close, Lis. I might be exaggerating a bit with $150. If someone missed something small and easy, I'll go 80-100. If there is more work, I'll do $150. I have a client who forgot a 1099-C (principal home) and I will charge accordingly there.  If we are off on those numbers, yeah....do yourself a favor and increase. 1040-X's are confusing as hell to the general public.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I do very few amended returns, maybe 3 or 4 a year, I'm more in the 60-100 range for an amended, really depends on what they forgot.....sometimes its not worth it for them to even amend, since my fee would be more than any additional refund that they may be getting.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Same here, Lisa. Some are not worth to amend. I do a few every year. More so around this time as ppl do forget goofy things and I always shake my head how ppl forget the income they take in.
0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5
700 returns; nice being semi retired, you've got time to asked them, "Say, did you forget anything? Are your sure? Are you really, really, sure?"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
It would seem to me that it would take less time to verify the client has everything, than to amend many clients.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Well, if you aren't asking them those questions you are doing them a disservice and creating problems for yourself as is evident from this post.  If your goal is to get as many returns done as quickly as possible you are succeeding.  If you are trying to get returns done correctly as the rest of us are evidently trying to do, then you aren't quite as successful in your goal.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Im not sure I overly agree here. You can ask a client until you are blue in the face if they have everything and they swear to you they do. Then they come in and say "WHOOOPS, I forgot I had this unemployment for a couple weeks, or I forgot i got this distribution.". Unless you dont let ANYONE file early. Then I see.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
@garman22   While you do have a valid point, I give them a list of questions that include such things as "did you sell stock ... did you collect any unemployment ... did you withdraw from retirement", etc. that should significantly reduce the number of "forgotten" items.

As I said before, if it is the client's mistake, make them wait.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
oh @TaxGuyBill 100%, I agree with you. Part of my interview process is to go down the line of all income items. I am trying to eliminate that possibility of missing an item. But our clients forget all the time. I try to discourage filing too early unless you are a W-2 earner (even then I make sure there are no other jobs).

In the end my additional fee to amend does eliminate those who want to file too early.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If it is the client's fault for the mistake, make them wait until it is ready.

As for why it is late, the IRS has DRAFT instructions for 2018, but those Instructions are not Final yet.  Intuit rarely does any programming without Finalized Forms and Instructions.  So I suspect the main reason for the delay is because of the IRS's delayed final Instructions, not because of Intuit.

EDIT:  The IRS has now finalized the Instructions (on February 22nd), so it is likely that Intuit will finalize their things within a couple of weeks or so.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
That was my understanding as well.

0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5
But, IRS DOES have the PDF form on the website. I suspect they are just delaying it on purpose b/c of the shutdown. Maybe they're are backed up as it is, but who knows.  
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
There were 80,000+ amended returns to process when the shutdown ended and 5 million pieces of unopened mail. I'm guessing they have their hands full and I wouldn't file an amended return this year, unless the time to file was about to expire this tax season, until June or later.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1:   or if they owe money...then get it sent in by April 15th.:+1:

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
WOAH!!!!! 80+k?? Yeah, thats a lot of amended returns!
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
That's what Accounting Today stated in a recent article. I can't even imagine coming back to that mess.
0 Cheers
gabletax
Level 4

Don't forget, up until the deadline, Form 1040X isn't necessary.  You can file another original return and IRS will replace the first filing with the superseding return. It will have to be paper-filed, of course, but so would Form 1040X.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Anything paper filed will be sitting in a mail pile for who knows how long....they only open the envelopes to get any  money out, then toss 'em in a stack for processing.

0 Cheers