Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet using wrong limits??

shoop27
Level 2

The limit for a Married couple to fall within the 12% tax bracket for $0 tax on Qualified Dividends & Capital Gains for 2018 is $77,400.  The program is still using 2017 limits & $77,200?? Am I seeing this wrong?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ernie
Level 9

No, the breakpoints no longer follow the tax brackets for regular income tax purposes.  For 2018 the breakpoint for MFJ is 77,200.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Ernie
Level 9

No, the breakpoints no longer follow the tax brackets for regular income tax purposes.  For 2018 the breakpoint for MFJ is 77,200.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Interesting, I did not realize that, but I looked it up and you are right.

But now comes the question: Why the %^#$%$%# would Congress do that?  Weren't they supposedly trying to "simplify" things?
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I think it's a budget thing.  They changed the rules on how things scale for inflation.
0 Cheers
shoop27
Level 2
Well how bout that.  I had a client that hovered just around the limit & I happened to notice it.  I appreciate the responses & the clarification.  Thanks guys.  And good job ProSeries! Like TaxGuyBill said, they can never make things easy. As always, learn something new every day in this business...
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
@shoop27 you are welcome.  It is when you stop learning things that you have to worry.
0 Cheers