Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We efiled return, client sent in a paper copy. What will happen now?

jeanmarc
Level 3

There was a confusion. We efiled a return and the client went ahead and dropped the return in the mail too. What would happen in a situation like this if the electronic return is accepted and the IRS receives the paper copy afterward?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

They'll disregard the paper copy. They might even send it back.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

They'll disregard the paper copy. They might even send it back.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Susan is probably right...altho I did have the same thing happen several years ago, on a C-corp return.  The client received a notice from the IRS, wanting payment *again*.  I wrote a letter and the issue was easily resolved.  You might want to tell the client it could happen & to let you know if there's any IRS correspondence.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
jeanmarc
Level 3
Thanks! Will do. In this case he's getting a refund. Something tells me they won't make that mistake the other way around (send him his refund twice).
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
They could...it is the IRS after all.
Forewarn your client to NOT cash that check if it does happen (altho I don't know what you do if it's direct deposit...).
My case was years ago AND a C-corp return AND they owed.  Different fact pattern, plus they've tightened things up a lot.   I bet nothing comes of it, but let us know.  OK?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I guess this is why some preparers DO put a watermark on the client copy that says DO NOT MAIL.  
I staple my client copies into a booklet, they don't have any copy that they could accidentally mail in.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Mine are stapled in, AND conspicuously stamped in the signature area as "Client Copy".  Yet they mailed it, and the ITS processed it.  Sigh... you can only foolproof stuff so much.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:joy::joy:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers