Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiver of penalty for the 401K early distributions

Eileen64
Level 1

the 1099R has an amount distributed with #1 in box 7.  However when inputting info the pro series basic generates penalty due to client under 59 1/2.  According to the Cares Act penalties are waived for taxpayers who are under 59 1/2.  How do I get the penalty off the return

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Were waiting on the Form 8915E , the disaster distribution form to properly report these distributions.  You also have the option to spread the taxability out over 3 years.

The form is scheduled to be ready on 2/18

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
athaureaux6
Level 8

Just wait a little bit Eileen, they need to update both Forms 8915E and the 1099R. If you scroll down the 1099r entry form you will see a part to mark Coranavirus Disrtibution and I believe that should be the waiver for the 10% penalty. You could even see a message that the form is not finished and could benefit the taxpayer. I believe that will wait the penalty and the 8915E will give that and other options too. Thank you. 

0 Cheers