Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W7 renewal through ProSeries with a 1040? Will the W7 attach to the return and efile it?

GrandmaD
Level 2
Renewal is due.  Do I have to attach documents to the return?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

No, the W-7 will not be e-filed together with the return.  That is because original or certified identification documents must be submitted with the W-7 for ITIN renewal.  You may like to read the instructions again to understand how the process works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
GrandmaD
Level 2

Is that because we aren't an acceptance agent?  H&R Block told him they could file it for him and upload the documents. Apparently the office is shut down so he can't get it processed through "normal" channels.  I told him I was pretty sure that if H&R Block could accept the originals and upload them with an efile, we could as well.  When I found the W7 in the forms, I figured it must be ok but thought I should ask since I didn't see anything in the ProSeries instructions.  Thanks.  I'll send him to Block.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

That Block office must be a CAA as well, you wont be able to do that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, Block is a CAA but even CAA's are required to submit the application on paper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
GrandmaD
Level 2

Are we an Acceptance Agent?  There's a box to check that we are submitting this with the return but it seems like we have to paper file with the documentation as well as the return and the Form W7 ... ProSeries does not have detailed supporting instructions that I could find and I don't want to do this wrong.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

There is a separate process and there are additional requirements/trainings for becoming an acceptance agent.  If you do not know whether you are, that means you're not.

There's no special instruction ProSeries can give you.  Everything you need to know about ITIN application is in the public domain as well as in the W-7 filing instructions.

Still an AllStar