Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2, Code V

karzak
Level 3

New Client.  Has a W2, code V $27016.  1099B shows proceeds of $16609 and cost basis of $2544.

Obviously, this needs to be corrected.  However client has no info regarding stock due to house fire.

Any suggestions on how to handle so he does not pay twice?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

Were all the shares sold in 2020?

The employer and/or the brokerage company can also provide info.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

I just prepared a return with this and it worked out okay. Do a search on this forum and it will be able to help you. Do your research and due diligence and you should be able to handle this matter properly. Just take your time and it should end up being okay.

chasetax
Level 7

request pay stub from employer for dates before and around stock sale--most often ISO or NQSO(?)stock purchases are most often included in wages (for basis) and sales results ina small loss due to brokerage commissions

BobKamman
Level 15

The reason @abctax55 is asking whether all the shares were sold last year is that it looks like a "sell to buy" where the employee exercised an option to buy, for example, 100 shares, but paid for them by selling only 50.  Your client should know what he did.   The employer and broker should have all the records he needs.  

karzak
Level 3

Thank you.  Good to know.  I will ask my client.

0 Cheers