Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginia fiduciary return

sheri414
Level 3

I am getting an error message when I check the "no" box to use electronic funds withdrawal of state balance due.  From the VA website: "Beginning with returns due on or after January 1, 2020, tax preparers are required to file fiduciary income tax returns electronically, but there is no requirement to make payments electronically." Why am I not able to elect not to have electronic funds withdrawal?  Furthermore, no payment voucher will print with the return.  

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Even if you don't pay electronically when filing the return, payment still has to be made electronically by the fiduciary. You won't get a payment voucher.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sheri414
Level 3

That’s contrary to VA instructions.  Payments are not required to be made electronically and there is a payment voucher 770-PMT at the Virginia Department of Taxation website.  “Electronic filing requirement for tax preparers - Beginning with returns due on or after January 1, 2020, tax preparers are required to file fiduciary income tax returns electronically, but there is no requirement to make payments electronically.”

Are we required to paper file if not paying electronically?

sjrcpa
Level 15

You are quoting the tax preparer requirements. I guess they eliminated the electronic payment requirement for trusts this year. I haven't completed any VA trusts yet. Thanks. I learned something new today.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sheri414
Level 3

I ended up just printing a paper copy and will have trustee mail the VA return.  Got tired of trying to figure out a solution.  

0 Cheers