Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginia and Single Filing Status

tammie
Level 3

Today I am working on a couple of single clients in Virginia.  On the Virginia tax return (form 760) there is an error that takes me to the educator expense and wants an entry in the Spouse column.  But the client is Single.  Even if I put a zero in the field, it says that you can't have an entry in the spouse column because the filing status is Single.  Duh!   I have been talking to Proseries for the last 2.5 hours with no resolution.  We even sent a sanitized copy for the programmers to look at and they cannot see the problem.  Dow anyone else who has proseries and single clients in Virginia have this issue????   Help!  The alternative is paper filing to Virginia--that is a bad option.

17 Comments 17
Ann114
Level 1

I am having the same issue.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@IntuitGabi 

Can you help here? 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
tammie
Level 3

The only workaround is to file manually--that is not a good option.

Ga1lTaxed
Level 2

I am having this issue as well.  Tried removing the form, going to federal and removing the form that isn't used anyway, and removing again on the state.  i can't get this to go away.  I hope a workaround or solution is available SOON!

Additional details:  I went and looked at some previously filed returns that had been accepted by the state.  Problem seems to be with both Single and Head of Household federal status, and was not a problem with a return accepted 2/7.  I hope someone from Intuit is working on this and that this information helps. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Yes, let me look into this. 
Thanks for your patience. 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
taxmansteve
Level 1

I'm having the same problem.

We need an update,  fast.....

WTSAbe
Level 3

i have the same issue.   It happen with the last VA update. 

0 Cheers
vth
Level 1

Do we have a time frame for a correction or is there a workaround.

0 Cheers
3MG
Level 1

Yes having same issues, just started today.  

0 Cheers
Logos3313
Level 1

SAME ISSUE happened TODAY!

0 Cheers
sldixon
Level 2

Hi.

I was just working on a Virginia return and I am having the same issue.  It is throwing an error on the deductions stmt under B - Qualified educator expenses - Spouse.  The client is single and there is nothing selected on federal or state for educator expenses.

Any luck in getting a response to this issue?

And you are correct...paper is NOT an option.

0 Cheers
nabdella
Level 1

Same problem here. All Virginia returns are showing the same error message. Proseries is having serious issues since the past few years including calculation errors of credits.

0 Cheers
WTSAbe
Level 3

I guess you can Efile the return from Homebase and take the error checking off.  You can send a state return separate from the federal. I do it all the time when I need to do some research on new state deductions and credit. I would just check the filing copy on the print to make sure it's correct before you send it.   

tammie
Level 3

Every preparer in Virginia that uses Proseries needs to call them and complain--the squeaky wheel gets the attention of the programmers.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"the squeaky wheel gets the attention of the programmers"

But you don't get to talk to the programmers.  You get the Intuit Squeaky Wheel team who just transfers the issue to another team who transfers it to another team, etc, etc.  Intuit has some great team quarterbacks that can pass like you can't believe.  However, all of their receivers have hands made of stone.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

We're seeing this on the most recent version of ProSeries and the internal teams are working on it. Stay tuned for an update. Thanks! 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
Ga1lTaxed
Level 2

Seems to be fixed today.  Thanks!

0 Cheers