Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTMA with Grandparent as Custodian: Who Reports the Taxable Income?

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Sorry for a basic Tax 101 question, but if an individual has established a UTMA for a grandchild and is the custodian for the account, who is responsible for reporting the income if the child does not file their own returns?  The parent or the grandparent?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11
  1. I don't believe so.  It is under the child's ssn.  I have had to file returns for children if there is enough to require a return to be filed. 

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
TAXOH
Level 11

The child. 

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Can the grandparent choose to report the income on her returns on a voluntary basis?  Or must the income be reported by the child?

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
  1. I don't believe so.  It is under the child's ssn.  I have had to file returns for children if there is enough to require a return to be filed. 
sjrcpa
Level 15

Only parents can elect to include a child's investment income on their return.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Stop and play this role-play game.  You answer phones for IRS.  Someone calls and tells you, "my grandchild has so much investment income he has to pay tax on some of it at his parents' 35% rate.  The investment is one I bought and I'm only in a 10% bracket.  Can we get around the kiddie tax?  I really don't want him to know about the money, and his parents don't really want to tell anyone their tax bracket."

What would be your answer?

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Perhaps, but in this case, the client is in the 24% tax bracket, so doubt that is the motivation. What galls me is the former accountant who prepared last year's returns and signed off on this whole damm arrangement.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Only a 24% bracket?  What are you doing there, trying to run a low-income taxpayer clinic?

0 Cheers