Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using proseries 2020. Itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction, yet proseries won't use the itemized amount unless I force it.

HJN
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

Double check your filing status on the Information Worksheet be sure your selection there matches what you think the standard deduction should be.   Also,  check under Part X - Standard Deduction/Itemized Deductions  is the box check on Use Standard deduction even if less than itemized

0 Cheers
danatsmith
Level 2

I just experienced the same issue in ProSeries Professional

0 Cheers
danatsmith
Level 2

I am wondering if it is because the standard deduction + the nonitemizer charitable for my client is greater than total Sch A?  Total Sch A = $27,659 and Std deduction = $27,400.  Clearly Sch A is greater, but Std deduction + nonitemizer charitable is greater than Sch A ($27,400+300=$27,700)

ljsmith2
Level 4

Now that you mention it. That is exactly what is happening. just couldn't figure it out.

They are very close...Std. Ded. $24,800  with itemized deductions  $24880.

If they take the $300 charitable deduction up front, they still get the $24,800.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

0 Cheers
kdeerickson
Level 3

Thank you!