Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Killed ProSeries

Level 13

I had previously downloaded and installed Basic.  It worked fine.

Just downloaded and installed Professional.  It seemed to install fine, and then part of the install process it did an update.  Now it won't let me sign in because it says it can't access the internet (it says "the network changed", whatever that means).

My internet is fine.

I then went back to Basic.  It signed in fine.  I then did an update. STUPID ME.  Now Basic can't access the internet either.

Rebooted.  Problem is still there.  Only using the default Windows 10 anti-virus and firewall.

PS:  The link for "Consolidated Connection Issue Solutions" does not work on this page.

9 Replies 9
Level 15
Level 15

Ugh!  Good to see you Bill, not the best circumstances though.   I haven't seen anyone else report this situation yet. 

If you disconnect wi-fi and use the Sign in Offline option from the Sign in screen can you access the program?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 13

Basic lets me sign in off-line because I had previously signed in on this computer (and I don't need to disconnect internet because the program already thinks I don't have it).

But Professional won't let me do that because I've never signed in yet.

I've also gone through all of the processes to let ProSeries through the Firewall and Anti-Virus, but it still won't work.

I wonder what "the network changed" is supposed to mean anyways???

Level 13

Okay, after thinking about "the network changed", I think I figured it out, and it is partially my computer's fault.

My Ethernet connection has been weird, and mostly not working, so I put in a wireless USB thingy.  Apparently, this recent update doesn't like having them both (it worked fine before the update).  I have now unplugged the Ethernet and going 100% on wireless, and so far it is working.

So now I guess I'm stuck with using ProSeries.   Smiley Tongue

Spoiler
I like hiding things under here.   It is for super-top-secrets.   Smiley Surprised

P.S.:  I feel like the squirrel ... I answered my own question.  Smiley Very Happy

Level 15
Level 15

I don't remember seeing that message mentioned in her before.  Im just guessing here, but I think you may need to uninstall, then rename any leftover ProWin19 folders to OldProWin19, reboot then reinstall.

OK, scratch my answer!

(Reminds me of AOL back in the 1990's with Win95/98, people would update AOL then the internet wouldn't work within AOL, a browser would work outside AOL though.  Was a bad registry entry that made it happen (never found out WHY it happened).   I did tech support via a chatroom for AOL users, I created step by step instructions for people to edit the registry to fix what was broke, they had to print them out and follow them offline... was brutal, people really shouldn't have been fiddling around in there, but those that could follow the instructions got back up and running.)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 13

Thanks Lisa! 

Level 15

@TaxGuyBill Great to hear that you got it resolved!

@Just-Lisa-Now- Those were the days with dial-up and all.  Brings back memory about the pre-internet days of bulletin board services and terminal emulation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Level 1

I have a similar issue with my Pro2019. It worked fine for me to work with a client and with the following client I get an issue stating that my system is outdated and I need licensing which in my ProSeries online I see that it was purchased. Please let me know what I need to do. I already updated all my system and restarted the computer and still run with the same information.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Try clicking tools > license product
This week's special - get a free set of ACME snow tires with every return prepared. ($300 extra if you want air in the tires)
Level 15
Bill - started sounding like deja-vu all over again. Glad you got it figured out:)
This week's special - get a free set of ACME snow tires with every return prepared. ($300 extra if you want air in the tires)
0 Cheers