Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unemployment

I am trying to find the message that came up earlier in the day while I was in the program and had to x out of it.  It was a reference as to how to report the unemployment as non taxable in the current system - can someone tell me how to retrieve this notice or/and how to treat the unemployment 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

There

Is

No 

Way

YET 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's kinda interesting since the only message that came up in my ProSeries software today related to e-signature.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

In the last hour or so IRS just released how it is supposed to be done. They will need to update their efile and manual filing systems. Then the software needs to be updated. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/step-1-irs-guidance-on-...

You misread whatever alert you saw.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemploym...

Sch 1, Line 8 adjustment 

but there was NO alert or popup in the software about it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
LilFos
Level 3

So if I read the worksheet instructions correctly.

As long as the taxpayer is under the AGI filing threshold ($75k Single and $150K MFG) all we need to do

is place the exemption amount on the Sch 1 worksheet Other Income line referenced as UCE and place as a negative number. 

So if that be the case any returns not yet filed can be submitted this way?

And any returns already filed can be amended this way? (But if you are from MD one needs to wait to file that one for the MD software update on the 502SU)

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...As long as the taxpayer is under the AGI filing threshold ($75k Single and $150K MFG) all we need to do"

Wrong... it's $ 150,000 for ALL filing statuses.  At least that's what the webinar updates have confirmed  indicate despite it seeming 'wrong'.

And as someone (  @BobKamman ) said in another of the seemingly endless threads on this:

As a general rule, anything IRS announces on a Friday night is questionable, and they hope no one will notice it until Monday morning.  By then, there may be five newer problems and people won't have time for an old one. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"