Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment Exclusion - Will there be a Software Update?

taxgirl0216
Level 3

Just wanted to get some clarification if there will be a ProSeries Software update to reflect the $10,200 exclusion in unemployment for certain taxpayers?

Or are we just to use Schedule 1, Line 8?

New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Thank you for your input!

Lauren

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive just been following the iRS instructions. Remember to see if your state needs to be adjusted as well....in CA you have to add back that federal UI exclusion.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxgirl0216
Level 3

Gotcha - so just to confirm - you have been using Line 7 on Schedule 1 to report total unemployment, and then using Line 8 to enter $10,200 as a negative number (if it qualifies).

Good point about the states - thankfully I live in PA where unemployment is nontaxable. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes. UI on Line 7, exclude on Line 8.
Ones with APTC paybacks Im still holding until we know for sure how thats going to work

CA doesnt tax UI either but they start with the Federal AGI then subtract the UI from that, so I have to add back that federal exclusion or it would end up being deducted twice for CA.

MarkSpag
Level 2

I would think there would have to be a software update that will handle this - has anyone heard for sure?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im sure they will put something in place at some point, its generally a few weeks between the time IRS makes a change and Intuit to catches up.

taxgirl0216
Level 3

I actually heard from another forum that I am a part of that Drake's software update came out today.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Amazing that a low price software is able to react faster than Intuit, isn't it?  I don't mind giving Intuit a little time, but I do mind the fact that they are so afraid to give some type of timeframe as to when they will be able to roll out the changes.  😞

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If youve ever seen Drake software, you can see why its easier to program....looks like the old DOS based programs of the 1990s.

taxgirl0216
Level 3

Completely agree! I called ProSeries today just to see what they might say. The person whom I spoke to said their managers have said not to give any timeframe but just that they have not heard from the IRS regarding software implementations. She recommended I watch for ProSeries Alerts 😕

IRonMaN
Level 15

Once upon a time, I asked why they won't give timelines.  The reason is, if they say 7 days and it takes 8 days, then their customers are going to be mad.  Well, then give a cushion.  If you think it is going to be 7 days, then say 10 days to give a cushion (I know, giving a range of 7 to 10 days would be too complicated).  It's hard dealing with clients when you have to tell them, someday my software will be up to date and I will get your return done then.

Slava Ukraini!
Peeler
Level 1

Don Farmer's latest email says that the IRS is working on a form and will work with Software companies to get that form. He also said not to Amend 1040"s already filed with the Unemployment because the IRS thinks they can auto-correct returns and issue the refunds. I guess we'll see if that really happens.HaHa!

0 Cheers
rodyum48
Level 1

Yeah, I've been considering switching to Drake, who has been courting for my business for the past couple of years.

0 Cheers
maria de sousa
Level 1

Massachusetts is so cheap that they will only deduct anything if your income is less than 200% poverty level. pretty sad

0 Cheers