Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment change. If owed, should clients still pay dues.

COMPLEXEYEDEA
Level 2

Hey everyone! Quick question if anyone may know, If my client was hypothetically due to pay say $400.00 dollars to IRS, but due to unemployment changes are adjusted to receive $600.00 dollar refund, should they still send the 400 dollar check and look for a credit to come back when IRS sends out refunds, or shall they refrain from paying if they have yet to send payment?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you saying that the return with the balance due has already beem filed?  I would consider this a situation for filing a superseding return, even if you believe IRS's vague hope that they will get around to amending returns later this year.

dkh
Level 15

I would wait until closer to the May 17th deadline to see if IRS is truly going to make the adjustment or if we will have to file amended returns. 

BobKamman
Level 15

If IRS is promising to finish processing the backlog of millions of 2019 returns by "summer," when do you think they will get around to calculating refunds for 2020 returns showing unemployment income?

Compare that date to the date you think they will start sending collection notices for returns already filed that report income that can now be excluded.  

dkh
Level 15

hmmmmm... do I detect a hint of skepticism ????      I don't think IRS is going to do the adjustments.  I think they are just stalling us from sending in amendments until after they implement the CTC advance payment system because they aren't staffed to handle both.

BobKamman
Level 15

They aren't staffed to handle either.  

COMPLEXEYEDEA
Level 2

LOL, thanks everyone, ill advise to send in payments. 

0 Cheers