Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment and GA taxes

JoJo
Level 3

Is Georgia going along with Federal and exempting the first $10,200.00 in unemployment due to the newly passed American Rescue Plan Act? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Historically, GA keeps current with conformity dates although some modifications may be required.  This time round, however, GA is concerned about how the ARP may infringe upon states' authority to set their own tax policies and has joined other states in seeking clarification from the Treasury.  This could have an impact on conformity and the timing.

https://taxfoundation.org/american-rescue-plan-state-tax-cuts-treasury/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
JoJo
Level 3

I guess I will answer my own question.  After making a call to the State of Georgia I was told no.  That means since GA starts with the federal AGI that the unemployment exempt from federal income has to be added back.  I called Pro Series support and was told that they aren't going to update the software at this time.  I can manually make the adjustment but I thought this is what we paid for.  I really wanted Pro Series to verify that I received the correct answer from the State of GA.  We all know if you have ever called IRS or their State for answer to a question sometimes it is based on who you connect with on the other line.  I did suggest that Pro Series could at least put out a bulletin or update listing the states that are not exempting the $10,200.00 unemployment.  That way I would feel safe in making the adjustment manually.   

If anyone else knows anything different please let all of us know.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Historically, GA keeps current with conformity dates although some modifications may be required.  This time round, however, GA is concerned about how the ARP may infringe upon states' authority to set their own tax policies and has joined other states in seeking clarification from the Treasury.  This could have an impact on conformity and the timing.

https://taxfoundation.org/american-rescue-plan-state-tax-cuts-treasury/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@JoJo wrote:

I guess I will answer my own question.  After making a call to the State of Georgia I was told no. 

And how is that person supposed to know when things are still in the air?  I wouldn't be so certain about this.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
JoJo
Level 3

That is why I am so uncertain.  Making the adjustment is nothing compared to telling your client you made an error or spending half the summer amending returns.   I am basing my assumption on what I was told by a representative at the State of Georgia.  That is why I would really like to see Intuit list the states in question, list the states that are or are not agreeing with the ARP.   I feel as Intuit has more pull and could talk to someone higher up the ladder than I can.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

But we're still in the early days.  Your clients should understand.

Still an AllStar