Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unearned Income

kwthetaxguy
Level 2

To whom it may concern: 

I have a client who is domiciled in California (home, license, voter registration, etc.); however, they lived with their parents in Delaware for a large majority of 2020 due to the covid pandemic. My client had no earned income and typically lives off of gifts from their parents. The client had a house in the Dominican Republic that they owned 50/50 but sold the home last summer. This created a significant gain for my client, but this is my conundrum, if the client had no earned income, do they report the gain only in CA where they are domiciled or do they also report the income in DE?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
ljsmith2
Level 4

Since client owns a home in California and was simply out of state due to COVID, 'temporary absence' it sounds like client will be returning to California at some point. I would report it to California as a full year resident.   Here is Calif Pub 1031 guidelines for determining resident status that should help.  See page 4 defining resident, and page 6 income taxable by California.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-1031-publication.pdf