Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a self employed person on Social Security have an IRA?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Under age 70 1/2.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Under age 70 1/2.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes, provided they meet all the requirements an employee would meet. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

The amount of money they receive from Social Security does not count as income to allow them to contribute money to an IRA.

They can have either a Roth or a Traditional IRA.  The rules for contributions to either do not include Social Security income as eligible income.

Dusty Ernie

0 Cheers
But after reading on the IRS website, it appears that they can contribute to a Solo 401k, up the amount of self employment earnings, with respect to also some special deductions to calculate the amount deductible?  Correct?
0 Cheers
Also, thank you Dusty Ernie.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I will add my usual "What does your PAID tax professional say?"

"But after reading on the IRS website, it appears that they can contribute to a Solo 401k, up the amount of self employment earnings, with respect to also some special deductions to calculate the amount deductible?  Correct?" Yes, but .... 

What does your PAID pension plan advisor say? Maybe try something like https://www.fidelity.com/calculators-tools/ira-contribution-calculator  and https://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Retirement/Small-Business-Retirement-Plans/Individua... 

You have not given nearly enough information to get a correct answer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers