Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCE

taxmike
Level 1

The new UCE adjustment does not calculate correctly on California returns. The state return does not tax unemployment at all and now it is reducing agi by the UCE also? Am I missing something because this seems like a very serious miscalculation which may carry over to other states as well..

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

17 Comments 17
troycpa
Level 1

You're correct.  I'm hoping they fix this issue on the California returns.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's messed up on a bunch of other states, too.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Yep... four or five folks have reported it in just the last few hours.  See the previous threads on it.

Intuit's been notified.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
tiredofhotmail
Level 2

I don't feel comfortable with the federal calculations.  I am checking my worksheet to determine how much social security is taxable.  I don't think that is pulling the proper numbers.  And yes, my state is incorrect also.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Actually, it didn't mess up any states.  The update was purely a federal adjustment.  You are left to sink or swim on your own when it comes to the state return.  I'm thinking a lot of folks are going to sink because they don't look at the state once the federal is done.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

The ProSeries Soc Sec calculation is correct.  The unemployment exclusion is not supposed to have any effect on the Social Security calc.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
tiredofhotmail
Level 2

ok, it ask for the amount from Schedule 1, Line 9.  That amount is not the amount from Schedule 1, line 9.

maxie
Level 3

@IRonMaN wrote:

Actually, it didn't mess up any states.  The update was purely a federal adjustment.  You are left to sink or swim on your own when it comes to the state return.  I'm thinking a lot of folks are going to sink because they don't look at the state once the federal is done.

You mean we are supposed to look at the state return too?  😉

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

SS doesnt use the reduced amount, the entire UI amount is used in the SS calculation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@troycpa wrote:

You're correct.  I'm hoping they fix this issue on the California returns.

Its easy to add it back yourself on the Sch CA.

0 Cheers
tiredofhotmail
Level 2

Do you have a reference for that?  The worksheet is asking for an amount that the program is calculating and if I go to that Schedule to verify amounts, they don't match.  Just trying to print out info for guidelines.

thanks

SummersTax
Level 2

I agree that the taxable social security is not calculating correctly.  It is including the non-taxable unemployment on line 3 of the social security worksheet.  Instructions say to add in Schedule 1, line 9 and it is adding in the non-taxable social security to that line.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It is calculating correctly.  The unemployment exclusion is ignored for the computations.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Jeff,  any chance Walmart has a deal on counters?  Maybe they'd let you buy one in advance with your employee discount.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll have to check on that.

Slava Ukraini!
Kimmyh21
Level 1

Yes you are right, on Federal social security benefits worksheet taxable amount calculated incorrectly. Also UCE adds back to state of CA (540) is also incorrect. How long should we wait for ProSeries to fix this problem? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Everything is working perfectly as far as I can see.

Total UI gets included in MAGI for SS purposes.
CA has the automatic add-back like it should (Id been making the add back manually for over a week)

0 Cheers