Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two state withholdings. Not clear on W2

nolanm
Level 4

Good evening Clients W2 has CT and NY in box 15 and corresponding income for each state in box 16. Box 17 is split in two with tax withheld for each state, but no state code, and no additional portion of the W2 which usually shows withholding for each state. Can I assume the ordering of the boxes in 15 is the order in which state tax is withheld ie. CT is top of box 15, therefore use top number in 17 as CT tax withheld, and bottom number in 17 as NY state tax withheld? thanks N

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

I've seen W2 forms split up in this messy manner before... Usually from a payroll processor ... Call the client and tell them to bring in any other W-2 forms they have for this employer and end-of-year pay stub if they have it hey... I would not assume anything since I have seen a lot of erroneous forms this year ..Just my opinion

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

I've seen W2 forms split up in this messy manner before... Usually from a payroll processor ... Call the client and tell them to bring in any other W-2 forms they have for this employer and end-of-year pay stub if they have it hey... I would not assume anything since I have seen a lot of erroneous forms this year ..Just my opinion

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Assuming and taxes never go well together. Follow PATAX's advice and get more documentation so your assumtion doesn't end up costing you money. Client's rarely have compassion for you on a mistake you made by not asking for more detail.

nolanm
Level 4

good idea on the December paystub - that will tell me a lot

thanks N