Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax to ProSeries transfer fail

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not been successful transferring TurboTax to ProSeries.  The most consistent success has been for 2016.  I may just be venting since I don't have time to pursue for ProSeries.  ProSeries help said it's a TurboTax problem.  I even purchased TurboTax to know that the files were not damaged, just not converting.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing.  The most consistent success is 2016.  The program will not allow anything other than same years.  It is disappointing than this ProSeries feature does not work for me.

Perhaps I am the only one who has this trouble.  

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive done it in years past, not this year though.   You can only go 2019 to 2019, you cant transfer a 2018 TT file into 2019 PS.  If you have a 2018 TT file, you have to transfer that into 2018 PS, then transfer the 2018 PS file to 2019 PS. 

Is that what youre doing?

Ohhh, there may be something about it being  a TT Desktop program file, not the Online version of TT...I seem to remember something about that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing.  The most consistent success is 2016.  The program will not allow anything other than same years.  It is disappointing than this ProSeries feature does not work for me.

Perhaps I am the only one who has this trouble.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So these are new clients bringing you their TT files they download?   I feel like if they used the Online version of TT and downloaded from there, there's some kind of issue transferring to PS...if they used the Desktop TT it should work better.

0 Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I am downloading from TurboTax online with client's permission.  

I have been able to open those files using desktop TurboTax so that does not seem to be the problem.  This problem seems to point to ProSeries and a communication breakdown between the two programs.

It would be best if tech support/programming resolved this.

sjrcpa
Level 15

ProSeries blames it on TurboTax. Funny, they are both from the same company.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I am downloading from TurboTax online with client's permission.  

I have been able to open those files using desktop TurboTax so that does not seem to be the problem.  This problem seems to point to ProSeries and a communication breakdown between the two programs.

It would be best if tech support/programming resolved this.

You wouldn't be communicating "between" TT and PS.  You need the file to be saved using TT Desktop.  Then opened in PS for that same year...the 2 programs don't communicate with each other at all....you only need the file that was saved in TT desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, that was helpful.  I successfully transferred 2018 to ProSeries. 

For others: I placed the  TurboTax online file on my desktop, opened it with TT desktop then saved it to my documents folder.  I was then able to transfer the file to ProSeries. 

Makes no sense, but it worked.  

FrankK
Level 4

You're not alone.  I just tried to convert a 2019 TT (online ".tax2019") file to 2019 ProSeries.  It fails with "unknown error."  I used to see this if the TT file was password protected,  but this is not the case.

I already pay too much for ProSeries licenses.  I'm not going to buy TT also just so I can import a file that ProSeries is already supposed to import.

FrankK
Level 4

Here's another interesting note.  The error message indicates the transfer is attempting to transfer a prior year data file.  But I chose 2019 Turbo to 2019 Pro in the transfer dialog box.

ProSeries Error Dialog.JPG

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

For some reason I seem to remember that it needs to be a TT Desktop file, not a TT Online file in order to transfer it into ProSeries.

@IntuitAustin could this be the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try this: Move the online tax2019 file on your desktop. Open the  tax2019 file using TurboTax but save it in docs.  Finally, transfer the TurboTax file into ProSeries using the ProSeries program.

0 Cheers
taxes---taxes
Level 3

I think that sucks because that means that you have to purchase TT Desktop, no? I am having the same issue and while the above solution(s) may work, it is forcing me to pay for the TT Desktop version. 

FrankK
Level 4

I agree. I think ProSeries is overpriced. I'm certainly not going to give them more money if their "Import" function does not work. In fact, I'd like a partial refund because the software does not work as advertised.  Are you listening, Intuit???

Landry-Michael
Level 3

1. Download the TTOL TurbTaxReturn.tax2020

2. open it in TTDT

3. Save the file in TTDT.

4. Open Proseries.

5. Transfer the saved file taxReturn.tax2020

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the effort.  That is how it should work but I found I have to

1. Download the online file to my desktop or anywhere except the regular turbotax file location.

2. Open it with TTDT.

3. Save it to the regular TTDT file location

4.  Then I can transfer the file into ProSeries. 

TTOL files are no longer liked by ProSeries!  This requires me to unnecessarily purchase TTDT.