Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition Deduction

Highlighted
Level 2

I'm trying to use Tuition Deduction for a client in Manual mode and it won't let me without overriding. It will let me choose AOC although it clearly shows not qualified since that was taken 4 times already. Anyone else encounter this?  Looks like a programming error to me. (I used to be a systems analyst before I became a tax person and a CPA.)

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Since that was part of the extenders that just passed in December, its possible the program isnt up to date with that option yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

It works if I override it so I'm thinking they didn't do all the program changes necessary. I'm on hold now to talk with them about it but thought I'd check here in case someone has also encountered that and knows how to get around it.   The Fed refund is lower but the IL refund is higher and she gets $7 more back. Maybe it won't allow it if Fed is lower but that should be up to me, not them in manual.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

I agree, in Manual mode you should be able to decide.  Sounds like its not fully programmed yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 2

I just checked 2017.  You could choose it on manual entry then.  They charge $5,000 for a program that gets worse and worse every year, and more expensive every year.  

0 Cheers