Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble with e-filing amended returns

pconsolati
Level 2

I did an amended return of someone who had done and efiled the original tax through H&R Block.  I replicated their work and then opened the amended federal and state returns, made my changes and am ready to efile the amended returns.  The option to efile the amended return in the efile menu is grayed out even after checking the File federal amended return electronically, check if original federal return was successfully efile and file state amended returns electronically are all checked.  What am I missing

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit doesn't allow you to e-file amended returns for returns that you didn't originally e-file.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

You will have to paper file.

pconsolati
Level 2

The help file says:

Check if original federal return filed electronically:

This box will be automatically be checked if this file was successfully submitted for electronic filing.  This box can also be manually checked if the taxpayers original return was successfully submitted for electronic filing but the status was not update in the data file.  This may happen if, for example, the taxpayer prepared and submitted their own original return, or if the original return was prepared and submitted by another firm.

By manually checking this box, you are affirming this taxpayer's original return was successfully e-filed.  This will allow the amended return to be e-filed.  It the IRS does not have record of successful original e-filing by this taxpayer the amended return may be rejected.

This sounds to me like you can now e-file amended returns where you did not file the original.

0 Cheers