Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring prior years clients letters and bills

Beth-K-
Level 3

Is there a function to transfer prior years client letters and bills to the current year?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
Beth-K-
Level 3

Thanks for your prompt response.  My question is specifically for transferring the client letters and bills from a prior year. I edit the standard letter every year to reflect the current year's dates and also I insert a few paragraphs regarding information provided by the client. In addition,  I write custom letters for some clients which I'd like to transfer.  I have already transferred my 2021 clients to the 2022 Proseries.

Thanks.

Beth K.

0 Cheers
Taxprohere
Level 7

I saved my customized client letter as an .rtf (rich text file) and then every year,

delete the content of the current letter via edit function (cut and then paste the content of the saved file. You have to be in a client file to access tools/manage letters/standard letter etc. 

Or simpler you can replace the file itself in the Common folder, fdiltr.rtf for the individual 1040, for example with your identically named file.  (don't remember if there was a problem that caused me to start the cut/paste instead.)

What works for me, I keep many of the data and trigger values which most are not year-specific, so my customizing is ready-made.  You can also change it up a little if you wanted with any new letter codes that might be relevant.

As for the invoice, not the way ProSeries changes around the list of line charges...enough problems when they do it midseason!  Tip: if you have custom line charges at the bottom, put a few extra dummy lines so any midseason additions by PS doesn't overwrite yours.