Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP received a 2018 CP59 Notice even when they have an accepted by IRS letter and the tax refund

Kimberly B
Level 1

I am getting a LOT of phone calls from my clients asking why they are getting the CP59 notices even-though they have are showing an accepted tax return (1040) and received the tax refund. 

Additionally, there is only one name on the letter when in fact they filed MFJ. 

Anyone else seeing these?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have only seen 1 and he forgot to mail in his 2018 return that got rejected last year (duh!)...

I think the computers that send these CP59 letters arent directly connected to the computers that process the returns and theres some serious lag time time for updates between the 2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Kimberly B
Level 1

Thanks Lisa! Strangely-enough the notices are for the 2018 tax year and only one TP name is on the header even when they filed jointly.  

🤔

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Was an extension filed for 2018? Is the CP59 in the name of the person that shows first on the extension?

I think this is all due to the computers being left unattended during COVID and theyre just running in autopilot....if the return has been filed and accepted, Id disregard that notice. Did the notice some with a questionnaire type of form as well? I guess you could return that, but I doubt its necessary.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

What is the date on the CP59?  Was it printed in April but not mailed until July? 

When was the 2018 return filed -- is this one that they didn't get around to filing until the EIP program was enacted?