Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To quote Ralphie - Oh Fudge!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Level 15

This place has turned into Zombieland.  While this place always was Zombieland it seems like more Zombies have moved into the neighborhood and washing hands doesn't seem to stop them from coming - oh my!😱

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Labels (1)
19 Replies 19
Highlighted
Level 15

Yep.... I find it disheartening that so many tax professionals rely on nothing but their software, and by extension this forum, for ALL of their information regarding all things tax.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15

You use the term "tax professionals" loosely.😁

Highlighted
Level 15

I was trying to be diplomatic.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15

Diplomacy has gone out the window, along with all common sense and patience.

Highlighted
Level 15

I *think* my common sense is intact.  My patience with repetitive software update questions, not so much.

Highlighted
Level 5

I almost feel blessed to have learned how to do tax returns with a library of blank tax forms, a B-2 pencil, eraser and calculator.  You had to learn where to enter all of the information on the forms and in what order to not have to erase and recalculate countless times.

Highlighted
Level 15

I went through a lot of erasers back in those days.  And if anybody mentioned "import" back then, that just meant they were driving a Honda or Volkswagen.

Highlighted
Level 5

I truly believe I am a better tax preparer today because I got to learn the pure flow of tax forms and how they tied together.  Just working with software does not give me the same feel for the flow when things self populate.  Granted I can do many more returns with the software, but in turn it can in my opinion make a person lazy.  And that comment comes from someone that was a beta tax software tester for a couple of years.

Highlighted
Level 10

@meoleson wrote:

I truly believe I am a better tax preparer today because I got to learn the pure flow of tax forms and how they tied together.

And, somewhat ironically, I feel like I'm a worse tax preparer every year because I'm always hunting around for where numbers end up these days!  I still can't tell you what goes on the 1040 and what goes on Schedule 1,2,3.  At least this year they got rid of half the schedules (but they changed all the line numbers, so anyone reading old posts will have no idea what we're talking about when we say Line 21!)

Rick

Highlighted
Level 12

@rbynaker wrote:

I still can't tell you what goes on the 1040 and what goes on Schedule 1,2,3. 

I agree, the 1040 doesn't make sense to me (but it is better than last year).  The old pre-2018 Form 1040 made so much more sense than the current format.

Highlighted
Level 5

I still sort things out by tax form first then just click to the form and start my data entry.

Highlighted
Level 15

I just open ProSeries and then I post questions here asking where each W-2, 1099, K-1, etc go in the software.  Isn't that how this is supposed to work? 😕

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 5

You may want to check your software.  There may be a where do I enter form thingy you could try to find.  I have read some comments concerning something like that.

Highlighted
Level 15

Could you tell me where I can find that where do I enter thingy?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11

@TaxGuyBill  "I agree, the 1040 doesn't make sense to me (but it is better than last year).  The old pre-2018 Form 1040 made so much more sense than the current format."

You young whippersnappers don't remember what it was like before IRS went to the "linear 1040."

Highlighted
Level 15

@meoleso   - then you are a dinosaur.  Just like me.  There isn't a dinosaur emoji 😞

I recently explained to a data entry clerk WHY I have non-photo blue pencils around.  One of the status catagories is "Blue Pencil" which indicates the return is in MY court for final review.

Highlighted
Level 12

@abctax55 wrote:

non-photo blue pencils 

I had to Google that.  I didn't realize there was such a thing.

Highlighted
Level 15

We still use those non-photo blue pencils.  Returns are still printed on paper for review.

Highlighted
Level 7

non-photo blue wow, how about carbon paper and remember to carry an extra sheet of carbon paper because Maryland required a copy of form 2441 also.  Watch out for the dog when you went to clients' houses!!