Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time share repair expense deduction

singh
Level 7

My client has 3 time shares at 3 different cities in California and in Las Vegas. They are all paid off therefore there is no Form 1098 mortgage statement. She received "Dues & Fees Statement" from WORLDMARK by Wyndham  showing $700.00 for repairs. She paid the $700. There is no physical address for any property, but  the statement has  PO BOX address from LAs Vegas. Since it is not a rental property I cannot use Schedule E.

My question is: 1. Can she deduct the repair expense on her Time share?

2. On which form should it be claimed?

My thinking is that since it is her personal property repairs cannot be claimed until sold.

Any input please.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client had rented out the time share, part of those expenses may be deductible against the rental income under §212.  Otherwise, these are nondeductible personal expenses.  You can't deduct them when the property is sold either since costs of repairs are not to be capitalized as part of the basis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client had rented out the time share, part of those expenses may be deductible against the rental income under §212.  Otherwise, these are nondeductible personal expenses.  You can't deduct them when the property is sold either since costs of repairs are not to be capitalized as part of the basis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
singh
Level 7

Thank you so much for your help. My client was insisting that I should claim her expenses.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @singh!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers