Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Out Options

tscott1205
Level 4

Nothing aggravates me more than to step away from my computer for a few minutes and come back to find out that I have been logged out. I am the only tax preparer in my office and I have zero chance of someone looking at my computer when I step away. There should be an option in the program to choose how long the program can be dormant before it logs me out. 

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
rbynaker
Level 13

You might look into installing a "mouse jiggler" that tricks your computer into thinking you're still there.  I have one called caffeine.

PATAX
Level 15

I agree. In my opinion, it is getting ridiculous.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its 30 minutes, not a "few" and this is an IRS requirement, not Intuit.  So you're complaining in the wrong place.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tscott1205
Level 4

When you work 840 minutes a day 30 minutes is a few.

Also having to change your password.  I don't think it provides security.  IMO data breaches are more likely to be an inside job than anything else.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I agree, and the email they send telling you your password needs to be changed in 14 days has a clickable link in it!! Thats a huge no-no for people, never click links in emails. It should just be a reminder with instructions how to do it on your own, no links!

IRonMaN
Level 15

I still don't get why this is such a huge issue for folks.  Unless your password is something like:

afeaohehg32823y82h43r9r%&$&$757878ajljjaflaj4646498793920jfjflalkfnvl8**&&^%^&**BBUGVvjndKdD46466646466666666666666E88******HfHKhfh^^^^^^^&&561u1ughqhkafdjfja9jfadjljfajYYTkhku7&&&^^KHKhfkH45461354*****FfhkehkaefuhjGGGGGG772______ ADUEK77^^%$##*(()^&^Bob

how long does it really take to log back in?  If that "lost time" is so monumental, then drink one less cup of coffee or smoke 2 less cigarettes a day to make up that time.

Slava Ukraini!

At least we don't need to have our phones with us to open up ProSeries.  I've come to hate any program that insists on texting me a security code.  My phone isn't surgically attached.

I do understand the intention is good but really wonder how much this benefits anyone.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
2 factor authentication is an option, I tried it for awhile but it sent me a code every time I came into this group as well, so that got real old real fast LOL

I dont mind it for passwords resets and changes, I have most of my bank, shopping and socail media sites set up to send a code when the password is changed.

dkh
Level 15

Oh Great!  Now I have to change my password.  Just when I had that one memorized.

Olivestone
Level 1

Where is it written, that the IRS requires a log out after the screen is idle?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Where is it written that they don't require a log out after the screen is idle?  Even if this whole thing was just Intuit's warped interpretation of some IRS rules, you aren't going to change anything by asking where is it written.  You just need to learn to live with it.  It isn't the end of the world as we know it.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@Olivestone wrote:

Where is it written, that the IRS requires a log out after the screen is idle?

@Olivestone Is that a statement or a question?  If that's a question, here's where it's written.

In case you are curious, I actually dropped Han's offer to take his Millennium Falcon for Doc's DeLorean to go back (more than 5 years) to 2016 when that 30-minute session inactivity logout requirement was first imposed.  But folks there told me to go "Back to the Future" to 2021 for the most updated version.  So, I did.

Oh, and, if that's not a question but a statement?  Well, it makes no difference.  That's still written in the same place...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1075.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar