Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ProSeries not able to transmit now to IRS when other softwares are at least put in queue?

midwesttaxgroup
Level 1

I've used ProSeries for 8 years and it used to not be the very last software to go live with the IRS.  We used to be able to send during the two weeks prior when IRS starts accepting through the HUB program.  I understand not all forms are available but I’m near a large university and most my clients this time of year are simple college students with just w2 income. Frustrating to have them calling every day saying their friends returns are being accepted. Would be nice to at least get them in queue but can’t until final release comes out then have to go in every return and update after release before sending which is very time consuming. Is there a way to bulk update returns after last updates instead of having to go in to every return and run diagnostics before submitting?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

The good news is, you were able to get that same speech from last year in a few days earlier this year.  Based on seeing the same speech, I'm guessing that last year's speech didn't change anything.  Can we plan on seeing you about this time next year since I really don't think anything is going to change?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
22 Comments 22
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Yes, TurboTax is holding returns in queue until IRS opens on the 28th.   IRS does pull some of those early filed queued up returns to test their systems on....would you like your client returns used as IRS guinea pigs?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
ProSeries does not participate in the HUB/BETA testing program.
0 Cheers
midwesttaxgroup
Level 1
so why is ProSeries not testing with the IRS to make sure their software is compatible so that on the 28th we are good to go and why cant we send return in queue instead of having to be at our offices until midnight on the 28th sending 200 returns at once?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
why would you need to be there until midnight?  You can tag all the files you want to transmit at once and let 'em fly.  You don't transmit them one at a time, right?

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
This community forum makes sure the software is compatible, as much as possible, thanks to the All Stars. Having it sitting in the queue at Intuit, as mentioned by others, completely limits your ability to change anything. I'm also trying to figure out why you would be there till midnight?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

The good news is, you were able to get that same speech from last year in a few days earlier this year.  Based on seeing the same speech, I'm guessing that last year's speech didn't change anything.  Can we plan on seeing you about this time next year since I really don't think anything is going to change?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
midwesttaxgroup
Level 1
Its an every year occurrence anymore.  Except 1120s are available now and weren't last year.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I think was Phyllis Diller who said something like "You can turn these knobs all you want and the picture doesn't get any better"

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

mid west - were you doing tax the year that the first 3 days of returns were held for over 8 weeks before the people received their money, etc?  I don't my clients to get hung up in the system.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I had one hung up that year, it sucked.  That was the last year I filed within a day of opening day, now I wait  for several days.

0 Cheers
Hillenburg
Level 4
Those clients who want to file on the 28th will be just as broke in March and April as they are today.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
March or April? I give most them to the afternoon they receive their refund.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
they have it spent before it even arrives!

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
That delay was in 2011 when the MEF System crashed and all efiled returns were converted to paper return processing. I was working for someone then and we had 54 clients to notify and 53 of them called everyday for an update. What a nightmare for a small office.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

And yet many of those filing this early will have their refunds held until 2/27 https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing 

I stole this chart, that shows getting in now or next Monday should yield the same result. 

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
I saw that chart also and the person that put it out there states that it is her own creation and not based on actual IRS dates. It's gonna be interesting to see how the unpaid IRS processors will be issuing the refunds.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
IRS used to publish - In by Monday, out by end of next week. I think the concept is still valid, but IRS doesn't want to commit anything to print.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
In previous years, my client returns that were efiled with direct deposit seemed to arrive sooner than that chart, closer to 10 days.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Agreed. If IRS said 10 days and it took 11, would we hear some grumbling?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
loudly, yes!  I always tell clients 2-3 weeks and they are so happy when it arrives in 10 days!

0 Cheers
midwesttaxgroup
Level 1
Yes that's due to the PATH ACT and will probably be that way going forward and I am aware of that and that only affects a few of my clients but I am talking about being able to send the returns in Queue so I am not trying to send 200 returns on the 28th until midnight.  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Having them in queue can be a double edged sword...what happens when the client calls in on Jan 25th with an additional form they forgot was coming and you've already filed it and its sitting in queue? If you have them all queued up ready to file on your own computer, you can go in and make changes prior to actually filing it.

If I had a nickel for every TurboTax post that says "Hey I just got another form that I didn't know was coming, but I already filed, now what?"  I'd take us all to lunch!

0 Cheers