Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This week is IRS Data Security Week. To my surprise, ProSeries has eliminated "Dual Authentication" for the 2019 software. This makes no sense in this day & age.

rcfox
Level 2

In ProSeries 2016-2018, dual authentication exists: a password set by the program administrator and the Intuit password.  For 2019, there is just the Intuit password.  This is horrible -- as the administrator for my business, I want the control over passwords -- and, if need be, making sure I can lock someone out of the program.

And when I'm noting this (below), you don't even allow me to note that the product I'm using is 2019.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
The-Tax-Lady
Level 8
Is this procedure for just Network systems?
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 11
Level 11
My 2019 ProSeries Pro still has "users and access rights" under tools when in home base view
0 Cheers
rcfox
Level 2
Compare ProSeries 2018 and 2019.  With 2018, a user first inputs his password, then an Intuit password, and gains access to the program.  For 2019, a user inputs only the Intuit password.  Per Intuit, this was done because users complained about the process and this simplifies it.  However, IMHO it eliminates a necessary control and lessens security.  I'd prefer the password control be on my end.
sambo
Level 1

My point exactly rcfox. If both administrator and users use the same log in credentials how will the system know which it is in order to limit user access as set up by admin?  A user can only be limited to say data entry rights if that user logs in with credentials specific to him differently from the single (admin) login.

Help!!!!!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

As for the use of Intuit password, did you and your staff set up 2FA?  This should be done by logging into One Intuit Account (OIA).  Even if it was setup previously, some have observed, according to recent discussions, that it was turned off somehow by the system and it had to be reactivated.

See these articles for more details:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/how-to-access-and-manage-your-personal-da...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/security-changes-multi-factor-authenticat...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
duncandk
Level 1

I totally agree with you - really not happy with the "user access" this year. I've always set up the two password steps through user access and we don't have that option this year. I'll keep checking to see if you get an answer. My other issue with this part, is that I'm the administrator and it keeps wanting to limit my access because it says I'm just an employee! So frustrated. I've been using this program since 1995 and it's getting harder to make it work correctly.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 11
Level 11
My 2018 and 2019 work the same, no change. I am a one person office, so I do not set up a master password under options, nor do I set up access rights under tools. If you had to input two passwords in 2018 someone must have set up passwords, otherwise only your intuit password is needed to open program, at least in standalone installation  
The-Tax-Lady
Level 8
My sign-in works the same as 2018, just one password. Dual Authentication, to me, usually involves a code sent via text or email from a website which is then entered to access the site. It does sound like you had a Master password for the 2018 software and I bet it has to be set up each year. Look in the Tools>Options>