Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Form 1040-SR (versus 1040). What is 1040-SR?

Greta
Level 9

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

29 Comments 29
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

It a new 1040 form for seniors similar to the 1040ez

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'll still be using the regular 1040 for all clients, just like when we had the 1040EZ and 1040A.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9
Is there a way to program a default printing of 1040 (rather than 1040-SR) for all clients, or do I have to answer this question for each senior's return?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I feel like its a global setting somewhere....Id have to go digging.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
From within a client file, TOOLS > Options>Miscellaneous and there's a box to check.
You wont find the Misc choice if youre looking at Tools > Options from Homebase.

0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8
Even with the box checked the SR form is still printing as 1040 pages 3 & 4
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Interesting.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

This may help?

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/news/irs-releases-draft-of-new-simplified-tax-return-for-seniors-form...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Lisa - how is that beta testing going for you?  🙂

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
What an opportunity!

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I already need to scrap it and start over....I cant get the 1040 to shown in Print Preview or print out, if I have entered Sch C or Sch F income on the return (I didnt bother to test W2 income)....shows up and prints fine as long as I don't enter any SE income  LOL

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Well miraculously I CAN print the 1040 by itself today (only had a blank white screen yesterday) and as an added bonus it prints the 1040SR along with it too....but its missing when I try to print the whole return...so I dunno if this is "by design" or I have a bad program ....sigh....

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

Having always done a second print job when the program printed a 1040-EZ or even worse a 1040-A, I plan to take some time in late December or early January to utilize the red exclamation point on each return with clients over the age of 65 to write a note (using Copy and Paste) to tell me to check the box to NOT file the 1040-SR. 

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
I just printed a trial dummy return and it worked but even though this was a new client (named Test 2019), it calculated a penalty which is new.  In the past, Form 2210 showed the previous years's tax as zero unless you told it otherwise.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Since I have known the great majority of my clients for many years I am very aware of who is or isn't 65 or older but it would be a big help if that would be one of the questions under the Client Analyzer.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Do you think PS will put a global checkbox to suppress the new 1040SR for all clients? I, as of now have to desire to file this new form. But I like your idea re: red exclamation point idea.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Thank you and now if they would just put the 65 or older question in the Client Analyzer, it would be easy to search.  
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
oh yeah, even better (I originally read your statement as going one by one).  If I had to go thru my list, Im sure I would get 95%. But an analyzer would be lickety-split.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Garman see Lisa's answer from yesterday. There is a global checkbox, don't know if it works yet, but it is there
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Thanks @Terry53029 . I did see it and made a note to check on that down the road. I have not as of yet d/l'ed the program.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I need to uninstall and reinstall at the office already, I cant get the 1040 to print if I enter any income into the return....and so it begins!   LOL

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
So it does. God help us all. :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
AMEN to that! I won't be using the new 1040SR, especially since the 2019, 1040 has been improved.
0 Cheers
Spluna11
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Does Proseries use Screen ##'s ?  I thought that was just a Lacerte thing.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ProSeries does not use screens like that.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
So @eluna is a a ProConnect I don't Care Agent? She is just proving how difficult it is to see which of the products is being used. I am waiting with BAITED breath for the new and improved forum to clarify all of this mystery.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
@George4Tacks You can stop holding your baited breath since the comment has been removed!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Bummer. I was so looking forward to some lutefisk.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers