Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make the change to a 64 bit OS from a 32bit OS?

RANDYBLANK
Level 3

I have a 64 bit machine but have been using W10 32 bit OS because I'm an old dog and I like some MSDOS programs that I've been using since 1990. I see that Intuit is not going to support 32 bit systems in 2019.  My question is how do I make the change?  I've got a new drive with W10 64 bit OS going.  I installed proseries 2018 from intuit's web site, but it didn't work correctly. Do I have to contact Intuit and inform them that I'm going to be making the change? Will my 2018 files transfer from the 32 bit software to the 64 bit software?  Will I be allowed to install 2018 and prior year proseries to my 64 bit OS? 

Also, for the advanced crowd....  I've installed a 32 bit W7 OS as an Oracle virtual machine inside my new 64 bit OS.  It's working great.... but I'm having no luck at being able to print inside the VM to my parallel port printer.  Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is perfect: "I've got a new drive with W10 64 bit OS going."

All you do is set that as the Boot drive.

"I've installed a 32 bit W7 OS as an Oracle virtual machine"

You can also leave both drives, and use a routine that Pauses at start up (at the BIOS) allowing you to select which drive to use to Boot the OS.

It should not have been this hard, though. W10 runs DOS routines fine. Look at the google results:
run ms dos program in windows 10 64 bit

As for printing, you didn't mention if that is an old printer or not and if it worked before and if it works from the normal W10 OS side; are both ends Parallel connector? If so, you might try a cable for USB at the computer end that handles the parallel data for you. When connecting older equipment to a W10 system, there are missing components no longer on the motherboard, so the cable ends have the port hardware "micro" in them.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is perfect: "I've got a new drive with W10 64 bit OS going."

All you do is set that as the Boot drive.

"I've installed a 32 bit W7 OS as an Oracle virtual machine"

You can also leave both drives, and use a routine that Pauses at start up (at the BIOS) allowing you to select which drive to use to Boot the OS.

It should not have been this hard, though. W10 runs DOS routines fine. Look at the google results:
run ms dos program in windows 10 64 bit

As for printing, you didn't mention if that is an old printer or not and if it worked before and if it works from the normal W10 OS side; are both ends Parallel connector? If so, you might try a cable for USB at the computer end that handles the parallel data for you. When connecting older equipment to a W10 system, there are missing components no longer on the motherboard, so the cable ends have the port hardware "micro" in them.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers