Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thirty minus thirty equals zero

PATAX
Level 15

fyi: per article in Time, IRS may hire 30,000 new employees from increased funding recently passed (not 80,000 or so). per recent seminar, e.a. said 30,000 irs agents expected to retire in near future, and he said irs is pulling agents from phones to process back log, and that is why it is hard to get through. seminars are great because you always learn. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I believe that the bill says that money must be used above and beyond what is currently being used.  So that money must be used for 'extra' people and things.  So if 30,000 people are retiring, they would need to hire 30,000 PLUS whatever that bill is giving them.

I'm not sure where Time came up with thought that the IRS would only hire 30,000 new employees, but it was one of the Congressional people or committees that originally came up with the 87,000-ish amount.

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I believe that the bill says that money must be used above and beyond what is currently being used.  So that money must be used for 'extra' people and things.  So if 30,000 people are retiring, they would need to hire 30,000 PLUS whatever that bill is giving them.

I'm not sure where Time came up with thought that the IRS would only hire 30,000 new employees, but it was one of the Congressional people or committees that originally came up with the 87,000-ish amount.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As a side note, if you use Lacerte then 30 minus 30 equals negative one.  😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

Was that a paper copy of Time or on the internet?  If it was a paper copy, you can't really believe it.  But if you saw it on the internet, it has to be true 😜

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

It was on the internet. I'm not sure if they even have a printed publication anymore?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Then that story has to be accurate and Bill obviously doesn't have accurate information .................. unless he found it on the internet 😮

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

The flaw - hire 87,000 people.  Where are you getting 87,000 new employees from? For two years I've placed ads and have gotten truck drivers, strippers and waitresses who have applied for professional positions.

How long will that take?  How long to train?  This plan is a zillion year plan but not presented that way.  They'd be better off upgrading computer systems from their 1960's-1970's computers that use tape and 5-1/4" floppy disks.  Modernize and make life a lot easier with less people.

PATAX
Level 15

If they do hire strippers, then I may not mind audits, even though I am green (with both).

IRonMaN
Level 15

IRS agent.jpg

Be careful what you wish for.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Lord have mercy!

IRonMaN
Level 15

The new agents will be trained to search high and low for tax fraud.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

If she shows up for the audit, then I will have to change professions, and become a eunuch. I'll have to travel to Asia though, so you will have to take care of Heidi for me. Thanks Iron Man.

abctax55
Level 15

@PATAX 

Wait a darned minute.... " I " should be the one to take care of Heidi !!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"