Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter taxable 401 (k) distribution not reported in a 1099-R?

nectarine
Level 2

Where do I enter the 401(K) distribution my client received?  Federal taxes was withheld from it but the employer did not issue  form 1099-,  instead just a form of information letter with no code.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Was it for excess deferrals? It might be on a 2019 1099-R yet to be issued. If it is taxable in 2018, enter it as if you had a 1099-R.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Was it for excess deferrals? It might be on a 2019 1099-R yet to be issued. If it is taxable in 2018, enter it as if you had a 1099-R.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
where do you get the fed and state ID #s for the withholding without a 1099R

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Frequently I have them from another client.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The employer wouldn't issue it, the bank that sent the check would issue.it.  You need the 1099R, especially since there is withholding.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

They're required by law to issue a 1099-R.  In the unlikely event the employer refuses to issue one, a F.4852 should be filed with the return and that would prompt the IRS to pursue the employer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers