Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Tax Book

Dave B
Level 2

Good evening - 

Has anyone used The Tax Book for tax research? If so, please let me know your thoughts and if you would recommended it. I'm considering purchasing it this year.

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

I've used it for years, prior to that I used QuickFinder.

I buy the TaxBook Web Library (it's an on-line resource)  which I think is great.  It has links to the Pubs, IRS Code etc.

I also buy the Deluxe Edition Plus; I have one employee that really, really prefers to have pages to flip.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

I've used it for years, prior to that I used QuickFinder.

I buy the TaxBook Web Library (it's an on-line resource)  which I think is great.  It has links to the Pubs, IRS Code etc.

I also buy the Deluxe Edition Plus; I have one employee that really, really prefers to have pages to flip.

( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I also recommend it.  I get the Deluxe Edition and All-States every year.  I got their Depreciation guide a few years ago (when the repair regs went into effect) and was disappointed.  I also have an older Social Security guide around here somewhere but I didn't feel like it was worthy of an annual purchase.

itonewbie
Level 15

I think it strikes a good balance between explaining things in layman's terms and providing the necessary technical details as well as citations, relative to, let's say, Master Tax Guide (which is a bit too abbreviated and fragmented in organization because it relies heavily on cross-reference).  It is more like QuickFinder, as Anna says.  There is a money-back guarantee, if I recall, so you can try both before making a decision which one is best for you (and your staff).

Agree with Rick that the state tax guide from The Tax Book is an excellent resource.

Since you mentioned tax research, my take on that is both The Tax Book and QuickFinder are good resources for basic research on a topic.  For more in-depth research, nothing really beats CCH and BNA as a one-stop shop.  Yes, a lot of the same material is available from the internet without charge but it will take a bit more elbow grease to scour the right places.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

I *think* the WebLibrary automatically includes the All States component.  If not, I automatically subscribe to it as an add-on because I find it invaluable.

I agree with Jensen that either one is just the jumping off point; if you need to do extensive research you'll need another resource.

OR... Just ask here & someone will likely know 😃

( Generic Comment )"
Dave B
Level 2

Thank you

0 Cheers
Dave B
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers