Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The postcard tax return

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Still a bunch of worksheets behind the postcard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/your-money/1040-income-tax-postcard.html

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Supposedly, the USPO is soon to announce that there's a "new & improved" postcard that's 8 1/2" by 11" :wink:

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
abctax55
Level 15

Supposedly, the USPO is soon to announce that there's a "new & improved" postcard that's 8 1/2" by 11" :wink:

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

According to the pictures, they are not "worksheets", they are "Schedules", which would be filed with the tax return.

That means the previous 2 page tax form is now up to 7 pages long.  Nice simplification.   :smiley:

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Technically, I think it would be  7 postcards :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I just caught that to meet the 'postcard' concept, they call it a "double sided half page", rather than just calling it one page.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I think the whole purpose of the postcard return is to make it simpler for presidential candidates to provide their tax returns to the public :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

How are we going to charge our exorbitant fees to e-file *just* a postcard :smiling_imp: 

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But it's a bigly postcard :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
We still have to print it out on a full size piece of paper  LOL  So silly!

0 Cheers
Hillenburg
Level 4
Fast path postcard fee.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It looks like there should be a sticker on it someplace saying "some assembly required".

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
So you're saying we need to add a billing line for "assembly"?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Works for me.  
For most of my clients, if the form consisted of a postcard with only one line on it saying "sign here"  they would still want me to prepare the return for them.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Many of mine, too.
Plus, CA isn't likely to conform anytime soon.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is there still going to be a 1040EZ (for returns that COULD be done on a postcard!), or is this taking the place of all the types of 1040s?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The 1040 was going to be a postcard, so maybe the 1040EZ is going to be postage stamp :joy::joy:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
The news report says there will only be one version going forward, if that turns out to be true, that is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Did you get that from fake news or the real news :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
NYT says "A person with knowledge of the new form said on Monday that it was meant to replace not just the 1040, but the 1040A (the “short form”) and the 1040EZ (for filers without any dependents)."

But then again, according to Trump, NYT is a fake news outlet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers