Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part V of Information Worksheet is NOT filling Third Party Designee. How do we get it to fill?

bob5
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

If you have the paid preparer box checked and your preparer code entered, there is no need to fill in the designee information.  If you have that unchecked, then you can click on the box to fill in the information right click the name field and hit about for more information.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
25 Comments 25
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

If you have the paid preparer box checked and your preparer code entered, there is no need to fill in the designee information.  If you have that unchecked, then you can click on the box to fill in the information right click the name field and hit about for more information.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
haha!! how was that not helpful?? :thought_balloon::thought_balloon:
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Actually, it's quite obvious.  The reason for the not helpful was...……………………………………………..?  I have no clue.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
bob5
Level 1
Then take the 3rd Party designee FILL out of Part V  .... OR.... show it as you have been for the last 21 years.
0 Cheers
bob5
Level 1
Supposed to be auto filled when you enter the preparer code just so we will know it has been completed and is accurate. Why would you UNDO a helpful feature in your Information Worksheet ?
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) I see here what @bob is saying. If the paid preparer code is entered and the box is checked, the 3rd party designee information "should be" transferred over. It is not doing so. It is also for me checked in the tools/options/misc....I thought maybe that was not check.

At this point, I believe it to be a bug. Please confirm or deny. Also @Matt105
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
can anyone else? @Marc.TaxMan you are good at finding these bugs. What do you see?
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
i did not try building a client.....i believe it a transfer bug?
0 Cheers
Matt105
Level 4
This is as designed, (though the design may not be the best if it is not user friendly)  If you notice, it says if checked, do not complete designee information immediately after the checkbox.  

I believe this is due to the way the new postcard works, in that if the designee is the preparer, the schedule 6 is not completed and a checkbox is marked on the postcard instead.  It was likely cleaner to program it to complete schedule 6 if information is on part V, and don't complete schedule 6 if  part V is blank.  

As long as your information in the options is correct, then the information transmitted as the designee will also be correct.  
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Thanks Matt for the clarification and i hope this helps clarify.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Thank you @Matt105 @Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) and @TaxGuyBill!!!

I was completely unaware of this change this year. I looked at last year and compared to 2018 and saw what I saw.

Thanks again!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As Matt pointed out, the IRS changed the rules, and tax preparers do not fill that out.  Read the Instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi#idm140021866280240

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Did you notice the expiration date for the authorization? Pretty useless.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
It has always been that way, which makes it pretty useless.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
That is useless.  Had it always been like that?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
My understanding before was that it was good until the end of the calendar year - ie 12/31/2020 for a 2019 return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
So you are saying it is BETTER now (an extra 3.5 months)?
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
You got me curious ... this section of the IRM does not seem to have been updated recently, so I think it has always been April 15th (one year from the due date of the return).

"The third party designation authority expires one year from the due date of the return in question. Extensions of time to file a return do not extend the third party designation period. There are no exceptions or extensions to the expiration date of the third party designation period."
https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-001-003r#idm139697404321456
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I'm confused and/or the IRS instruction "This authorization will automatically end no later than the due date (not counting extensions) for filing your 2019 tax return. This is April 15, 2020, for most people." is wrong. If they mean 4/15/20 for a 2018 return then it is better.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
It lasts until the due date of your NEXT tax return.  So for 2018 tax return, it is valid until the due date of your 2019 tax return (April 15th, 2020).

Does that clarify it?
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
The IRS instructions are confusing.  I was reading it as it expiring on the due date of the return you are the third party designee.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"The IRS instructions are confusing"
That's why I tend to never read them :smirk:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I need to stop reading them.  :joy::joy:
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
@TaxGuyBill Yes it clarifies and it is better by 3 1/2 months. Thanks.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Skeeter-1967
Level 2

When you check the box the info automatically fills in on the Info Worksheet. No way to get rid of

it but override which then causes transmittal problems.  Would you please attend to this problem

since it seems from the community many are having it? I feel it is a ProSeries problem and not something I am doing wrong.

0 Cheers