Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Iowa fiduciary return 1041 requires decedent information for my 20 year old trust. The questions and errors they produce are incorrect. Anyone else having a problem?

Highlighted
Level 1

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
5 Replies 5
Highlighted
Level 2

I have the same problem. Looking for a SSN from a person that passed decades ago is a problem.

0 Cheers
Highlighted

I encountered the same thing. How does one get a resolution on this? with the software maker or trying to get the attention of someone at the department of revenue?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I think contact needs to be made with DOR to make a correction. They need to communicate the correction to the software developer. Maybe next year it will be corrected. Good question.

0 Cheers
Highlighted

I checked into this with the department of revenue. The software side basically said check the box for inter vivos trust instead, and their system will not look for the decedent's social security number or the court information. I think the attitude at least of the software guy is that the testamentary box is for court reported trusts. One of the policy guys, who clearly knew nothing about it, basically said "file on paper." I was successful in electronically filing by changing from 'tentamentary' to 'inter vivos' without dredging up the SSN of a decedent from 30 years ago. So, if you want to file an Iowa 1041 electronically with Proseries, wink at whether it is testamentary, mark the inter vivos box, and send it off.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I received the same response. It does not affect the federal return and if they are fine with it I will use it. Thanks for updating me. 

0 Cheers