Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI, Proseries has a serious glitch on the State Tax Refund Worksheet in the 2018 program.

djmichael
Level 1

FYI, Proseries has a serious glitch on the State Tax Refund Worksheet in the 2018 program.  Be sure to look at Line C of the 2017 Federal Form 1040 Information Smart Worksheet:  If taxpayer claimed income taxes on Line 5 of the 2017 Schedule A, Proseries is erroneously marking the sales taxes box instead.  So you will end up not reporting a taxable state refund if you rely entirely on Proseries...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you transferred your clients in early, before mid January, the files had the "bug".   

You can delete any client files you haven't worked on yet and retransfer them from 2017 and it wont be an issue for those files.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you transferred your clients in early, before mid January, the files had the "bug".   

You can delete any client files you haven't worked on yet and retransfer them from 2017 and it wont be an issue for those files.

0 Cheers
djmichael
Level 1
Thanks.  I always transfer all clients at once.  It's now way too complicated to pick and choose and delete and re-transfer some but not others.  Talk about a nuisance...
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
YES it's a nuisance.  a lesson also:  look here before you jump
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The bigger lesson learned, don't transfer diddly until you are actually ready to start preparing returns.  Every year there is some kind of bug in the early release of the software.

To quote a famous president:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
djmichael
Level 1
Thank you. Good suggestion. I've never run into this sort of problem before in all my years of using Pro Series.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
cindybissevon
Level 3
They knew about the 'bug' and had an "alert" on November 26 that said it would be fixed 'by early December'.  It wasn't and there were no further 'alerts' to notify us.
0 Cheers
djmichael
Level 1
Thanks for your comment: I must have missed that November alert.  But usually I install the program as soon as I get it: And I transfer all clients then because that is something we are prompted to do on initial install...
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Yeah, i used to do the same thing and last year I got bit on the Sch C other expenses and W-2 State Id's not carrying. I bit the bullet and re-entered. I waited thankfully this year. One day they'll get it right. :laughing::laughing:
0 Cheers
djmichael
Level 1
Oh wow, I wondered why the Schedule C Part V "Other Expenses" were not carrying over last year--thanks for the explanation...
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Seems like each year there's some weird early transfer issue.  The longer you can wait to transfer clients in, the better.  I only transfer in my own return and a "dummy" sample file I use for testing purposes, before mid January.

0 Cheers
JOHNNYCPA
Level 3
I learned the hardway, I must of transfered clients in January 2019.  I just caught the error now. before I transmitted  I was comparing 2 years  of state refunds  and noticed the problem.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

This was fixed in an update so transferred clients now are correct.   It will be wrong if you transferred before the update. 

0 Cheers