Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The affect of unemployment affecting rental losses

sengchang
Level 1

I have a client who has some current rental losses. He also received some unemployment benefit.

The  rental losses are being reduced by the unemployment benefit from each rental property and as to the total loss. So, it looks like the unemployment has a double affect on the rental losses.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

What is your clients AGI

abctax55
Level 15

And... what's the filing status?

Plus, have you looked at F 8582 to follow the numbers?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

And, I miss our Grammar policeman... 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Unemployment raises AGI, and so does wages, interest, dividends, capital gains, alimony received, taxable SSI, business income. Which then could limit allowable rental losses.

It's not just unemployment.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
itonewbie
Level 15

@sengchang wrote:

The  rental losses are being reduced by the unemployment benefit from each rental property and as to the total loss. So, it looks like the unemployment has a double affect on the rental losses.

What is the double effect you are referring to?  There is none.  When PAL is limited and there are multiple properties, that limitation will be allocated among those properties.  That's one and the same.

Also, unemployment compensation is taxable for federal tax purposes.  Since it's not among the type of income that is to be disregarded for purposes of §469(i) as defined under subparagraph (3)(E), the unemployment compensation will be part of the MAGI that could limit your client's PAL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar