Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are any other preparers finding that ProSeries 2018 is not correctly calculating the taxable portion of 2017 State Tax Refunds?

lakeviewtax
Level 1

The problem appears to be on the ProSeries State and Local Income Tax Refund worksheet, Part II, lines 5 & 6.  Both of these lines show zero for every client so far.  This results in a zero value for every client who had a 2017 State or Local tax refund.  I have recalculate each one manually (18 returns so far) and the ProSeries calculation was wrong every time.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Asked and answered multiple times in here...but here ya go.

If you transferred your clients into 2018 in Dec or early January, there was a bug in the state refund worksheet.  

Its been fixed now, but to make those files that were transferred early get fixed, you need to delete and re-transfer, or each return you need to open the state tax refund worksheet and check the box for income taxes, instead of sales tax.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Asked and answered multiple times in here...but here ya go.

If you transferred your clients into 2018 in Dec or early January, there was a bug in the state refund worksheet.  

Its been fixed now, but to make those files that were transferred early get fixed, you need to delete and re-transfer, or each return you need to open the state tax refund worksheet and check the box for income taxes, instead of sales tax.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Long time users of the software have learned the hard way to not transfer clients in until mid January, just for situations like this.

0 Cheers
lakeviewtax
Level 1
Thanks, Lisa.  I searched multiple times and did not find a match to my question.  I've been using ProSeries since 1987 back when it was still called Turbo Tax, and this is (thankfully) the only time I have had any issue related to early data transfer.  When I called Proseries a few weeks ago, they told me it would be fixed in the 01/31/20019 release.  Your fix seems to work just fine.  Thanks again for your help!
0 Cheers