Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensions beyond Oct 15. My client extended thru Oct 15, then wanted to extend beyond that. Isn't that only available if out of the country? She paid tax due with4868

brucenmary
Level 2

I told her that I thought the only allowable extensions past Oct 15 would be if she is out of the country, which does not apply in her case.  This is for a normal calendar year return.  She will not owe any more, just wanted to try to come up with more 2017 expenses to get some of her taxes paid in back as a refund.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The only thing I can think of that can extend things past October 15th is for a new Resident Alien to meet the Substantial Presence Test.  Other than that, there are no extensions the can be filed to extend the October 15th due date.

With that being said, except for certain things such as elections, there isn't a problem filing it late if all of the tax is already paid.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15
She must have hid those deductions really well if she is still looking after 9-1/2 months.  You might want to tell her that she only has a couple more weeks to play hide and seek with the deductions before the IRS shuts off e-filing until January.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
brucenmary
Level 2
Thanks.  I have already told her.  I will remind her again in a few days as it gets closer.  She paid what was owed when we filed the extension, so the only reason she is holding off finalizing it is to see if she can come up with more expenses and get some of the money back.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The only thing I can think of that can extend things past October 15th is for a new Resident Alien to meet the Substantial Presence Test.  Other than that, there are no extensions the can be filed to extend the October 15th due date.

With that being said, except for certain things such as elections, there isn't a problem filing it late if all of the tax is already paid.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just as Bill says.

Even if the taxpayer is out of country, the only times when it may be possible to extend beyond Oct 15 would be due to qualifying periods for PPT, BFR, and moving expense deductions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

Or living in the right (or wrong) disaster area!

0 Cheers