Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 not compatible with Proseries 2019. Upgrade stories?

robpeterson98
Level 3

Don't really want to buy 7 new computers. Anyone done the Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade yet? (Because of 2019)

Curious to any unseen problems that might occur.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jgcpa
Level 4

I just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro this week.. I called Microsoft and person remoted in and did the entire process. No charge at all. So far, no issues at all.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
jgcpa
Level 4

I just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro this week.. I called Microsoft and person remoted in and did the entire process. No charge at all. So far, no issues at all.

0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
That sounds too good to be true. Hope it is though. Ha. What number did you call?
0 Cheers
jgcpa
Level 4
I googled Microsoft. try 866-425-8809. and 800-642-7676. I was just as skeptical. But it is the real windows 10 Pro. and still working fine.
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
Thanks very much.  I plan on calling them later today.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I did it shortly after Win 10 became available, on five computers.  NO issues at all.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
Thank you. Makes me feel better hearing that.  I've done upgrades since Windows 95 but you never know...
0 Cheers
info8
Level 1
I beg to differ from my experience, tried the upgrade on two computers, all kinds of issues with bios, drivers, etc.  
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@info That all depends on the compatibility of the hardware and drivers.  That's why Microsoft runs a series of compatibility tests on the PC before installing the upgrade.

One of my laptops had just one compatibility issue and I ended up scraping the whole thing knowing January 14, 2020 is the official EOL date for Windows 7.

But if your PC is compatible and hopefully exceeds the basic requirements or could be upgraded, you may not want to write that off just yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
My problem is finding Windows 10 Pro as an upgrade. All I can find are full versions. Anyone have a source? No, Microsoft site didn't appear to have the Upgrade (from Windows 7).
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
That's a good link for saying when support ends and buying full product. Still looking for Win 10 Pro upgrade...
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
There is no more free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  You will now need to purchase a license from MS.  If you already had Windows 10, you could then purchase an upgrade to Pro but this apparently will not apply to you.  Please see this MS webpage for more details: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/windows?activetab=tab:upgrade
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
thanks. I expect to pay for the upgrade. I have been to the above link. Still don't see upgrade for 10, only full versions.
Copied from that page:

How do I get Windows 10?
Windows 10 will continue to be available for purchase, either on a device or as a full version of the software.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Windows 'upgrade' version anymore.  You need to buy the 'full' version and it has the 'upgrade' ability within it.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Exactly as Bill says.  The only option for upgrade now is from Windows 10 Home to Pro.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8
I have used this successfully on three computers, try it. https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Oh, and two laptops also.

The only issue I had was with drivers for some *really* old printers I have.  Installing a generic printer driver worked on those.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The only issue that may occur is if those computers are that old that theyre running Win7, you may want to be sure that they meet, or better yet exceed, the minimum requirements for Win10 to run efficiently. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
robpeterson98
Level 3
Yes, was aware of - and a couple of our desktops won't make the cut. Thanks much.
0 Cheers