Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation recapture on Real Property eligible for QBI?

RTS1823
Level 3

I've searched but can't seem to find a straight answer, would depreciation recapture due to real property used in a business like a home office qualify for the QBI deduction or is it just depreciation recapture on business equipment, etc that counts?  Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If you are talking about unrecaptured §1250, it is taxed as capital gain and not eligible for QBI deduction according to the code and regulations.  If you're talking about recaptures that are ordinary income (e.g. §1245), it is then eligible to the extent it is attributable to a qualified trade or business.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

If you are talking about unrecaptured §1250, it is taxed as capital gain and not eligible for QBI deduction according to the code and regulations.  If you're talking about recaptures that are ordinary income (e.g. §1245), it is then eligible to the extent it is attributable to a qualified trade or business.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
RTS1823
Level 3
Thank you.  Yes, I was talking about unrecaptured 1250 gain.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Interesting, I didn't realize that (or forgot about it).  Do you offhand know where that is?  If not, I'll look for it later.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@TaxGuyBill They discuss that under IV.(A)(10) of the Final Regs and updated §1.199A-3(b)(2)(ii)(A).
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Thank you!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
:smile::smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
0 Cheers