Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allocate taxable state refund between two taxpayers in year after divorce

dstebenne
Level 1

married taxpayers received a 2017 state tax refund in 2018. They are now divorced, and I am preparing two separate returns. Because I copied the transferred return and turned them into single taxpayer returns the program carried over the taxable refund to both taxpayers - incorrect. Do I really have to delete and start over with the one who should not be taxed on the refund? The program will not let me remove 1099G, which is ridiculous. Suggestions, anyone?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

Go to the carryover worksheet and go to the 2017 State Tax Refund information section and change the overpayment to 0 for the one that shouldn't be getting taxed on the refund.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
TAXOH
Level 11

Go to the carryover worksheet and go to the 2017 State Tax Refund information section and change the overpayment to 0 for the one that shouldn't be getting taxed on the refund.

0 Cheers
dstebenne
Level 1
Thank you! I didn't follow the trail back far enough, obviously...much appreciated
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
You're welcome.   It took me a while to find it the first time.
0 Cheers