Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which states allow 2% miscellaneous deductions?

HazelE
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Rumor has it, Minnesota allows it.  So does South Dakota, Texas, Nevada, Florida,  Alaska, Tennessee, Washington, and Wyoming.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
33 Comments 33
IRonMaN
Level 15

Rumor has it, Minnesota allows it.  So does South Dakota, Texas, Nevada, Florida,  Alaska, Tennessee, Washington, and Wyoming.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:joy: :joy: :joy:

at first glance I thought, dang, you remember all those?   then I noticed what they all have in common!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:laughing::laughing:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
With the caveat that it's not allowed as a deduction in TN if your name is Hall.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hahaha!! I thought, sheot.....he knows them?? But yeah.....i had to re-read Lisa's statement.

Illinois does not.
0 Cheers
HazelE
Level 2
This was my first time using the community, and I DID research it first, and tried to reach out after not finding anything.  But I am disappointed to see that all the answers I've gotten are "smart ass" answers instead of real help.  I guess I won't be using this platform again.  
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
You want boring, stuffy?

This was the first to pop up on google.

Is this boring enough?

https://taxfoundation.org/state-conformity-one-year-after-tcja/
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Oh come on.  Laugh a little, it's good for your health!  It's the middle of tax season and we like to blow off a little steam.  It was a very good question, one that certainly I don't know the answer to.  So I'm following this thread to see what else I can learn.  But I can do that and have a little fun at the same time.

VA & MD follow federal, so you'll get no help in my neck of the woods.  I'm finding in several cases it's better to force itemized on federal, pay them a little more tax, and get a much bigger refund from VA/MD.
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4
NY is allowing
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"all the answers I've gotten are "smart ass" answers"

Sorry, but we don't give "dumb ass" answers here ----------------- we just aren't capable of that.  Maybe Drake is better suited for those.

But as a side note, if it was the first time you used the community, how come your profile shows you asking 6 questions?
As another side note, who needs to know the list of all lists about which states allow the 2% deduction?  If I am never going to do a NY return, why should I care if they allow it.  All you really need is to be up to speed with the states you are filing.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I did try to google it, thinking maybe some website out there had compiled a list...but I didn't find anything.

I'd just deal with it on a client by client, state by state basis.

0 Cheers
HazelE
Level 2
Let me correct my previous statement: this is the first time I have used this platform and actually received any answers - so it hasn't proven to be at all helpful.  I do returns for many different states and was trying to figure out which ones I should watch for this.  So thanks for your time and good luck with tax season.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
You got answers to all but 1 of your previous questions.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxesInMA
Level 1
Why clutter up this place with misinformation?

Especially when this joke turns out to be the top answer to a Google search.  (And there's no "/s" or other tag to indicate this is a joke.)

Aren't there plenty of other places for humor?

Actual answer, I think: Arkansas, California, Minnesota & New York.

Pennsylvania and some other states decided not to allow the miscellaneous 2% itemized deduction, though misinformation is still out there.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You think?  If you don’t know the actual answer, please don’t clutter this place up with potential misinformation.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxesInMA
Level 1
Troll.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Yeah, sure....LOOK at Jeff's credentials before you start name-calling.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxesInMA
Level 1
It's not about credentials.  "Jeff" may have personally rewritten the tax code and/or have a direct line to Rettig, that's fine.

Someone had a reasonable straightforward question, originally.  He gave a joke answer.  I called him on it... and gave an answer that is not perfect (I haven't checked all 50 states) but is better than a joke.  And I said "I think" to show that it wasn't necessarily the final answer.

"Jeff" decided to keep trolling.  I called him on it, again.

(Definition of troll, per Wikipedia: a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.  Wasn't that what he did, the second time?)

Do you think it was unreasonable for the original poster to ask "Which states allow 2% miscellaneous deductions?"  Or do you have an accurate and complete answer?  Or does Jeff?  If not, why keep pestering?

I don't declare myself an expert.  I've looked for a good/complete answer to this question and haven't found it.  Feel free to help?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But my feelings are crushed being called a troll.  I might have to find a troll bridge to crawl under to live the rest of my life in shame.  

But the moral of story is, a little bit of humor goes a long way during tax season but Intuit doesn’t currently provide us a humor font when needed.  

As to the basic question why does someone need a complete list of those states?  If you aren’t sure about a state you are working on ask about the state here if you can’t find a set of state instructions on your own.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Has anyone noticed that this thread was started and essentially completed 8 months ago at a time when it was relevant to most tax preparers as opposed to now which is 4 weeks after the last returns were due.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"Feel free to help?"

I think I'll pass and let you do your OWN research.
Seems to me help was offered via a Google link, and advice to buy some research materials.

"..on your own."  
Excellent idea
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10
I'm not that smart and I found it! This issue is basic research.
 “there are 12 states and Washington, D.C., that will allow you to itemize on your state tax return only if you itemize on your federal,”

Those 12 are Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia, he said.
Camp1040
Level 10
it's a start.....NY is missing.
0 Cheers
HazelE
Level 2
Thank you for this, but it does not answer the original question.  The original question [posted 8 months ago] was "which states allow the 2% miscellaneous deductions."  I already know which states allow itemized deductions, but most follow the federal "allowed" deductions, therefore NOT the 2% Miscellaneous Deductions.  And your response mentions states that allow itemizing only when you itemize on Federal.  There are still other states that allow you to itemized even if you do NOT itemized on Federal.  CA in particular, allows it even if you take the standard deduction on Federal AND they allow the 2% miscellaneous deductions even if you cannot take them on Federal.  I know there are other states that also allow the 2% miscellaneous deductions even if you cannot take them on Federal, but I cannot find which states those are.  And believe me, I certainly did "the research" before resorting to posting on this community.
0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8
@HazelE I agree Camp1040 did not answer the question asked.  And I am not sure TaxesInMA even has the same question.

I don't think any of the responders understand the reasoning behind your question.  Do you have alot of 2% misc deductions and are considering a move from your present state to any one state that allows these 2% deductions?  Or are you just curious as to which states still allow the 2% deductions?  Otherwise as someone mentioned, you could just ask if they are allowed in a particular state you are interested in.  Most preparers are aware of their state and maybe a neighbor but not all states.

I can answer for Iowa.  Iowa does allow 2% misc deductions.  Hope that helps and you are always welcome to move to Iowa to enjoy them.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Thank you.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
@HazelE "believe me I certainly did "the research" before resorting to posting on this community." If you had researched each state with an individual income tax you would have come up with the answer. So, i don't believe you.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You want us to all call out if our resident state allows it, or you want someone else to go do the research for you?

California allows it.

0 Cheers
TaxesInMA
Level 1
Thank you.  I think Arkansas and Minnesota and New York too.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Thanks, Lisa.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

The Tax Book has a great "All States" resource book, either paper or thru their on-line WebLibrary.  It's a great research resource for tax professionals.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

What state(s) do you deal with?

0 Cheers
TaxesInMA
Level 1
Information is spotty and sometimes incorrect/unhelpful (top answer indicates several states that don't *have* income taxes).

I think Arkansas, California, Minnesota and New York still allow the 2% deduction, at least in part.  I'm not sure about others.
0 Cheers