Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Designee for the preparer information is not being transfer to IRS when the return is efile.

MadTaxMan
Level 1

3rd Party Designee for the preparer information is not being transfer to IRS when the return is efile.  On the information sheet, it says don't fill it in if it's the preparer. I call today to check on a client return and the rep said she see that 3rd party designee was check but the preparer name and pin was blank.  She only gave me information on the client by verifying my PTIN number.  I'm not sure that's the protocol or she was just giving me a break.  I have sent over 100 returns with 3rd party designee, so I can call to get information is they have a problem. Is this a glitch that it was blank at the IRS?   

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

This is in accordance with the filing instructions for the new F.1040.  You only need to check the box to authorize the preparer as third party designee and it says specifically not to complete Sch 6, which is for foreign address and third party designee info.

Interestingly, though, it no longer requires a PIN, so the IRS must be using something else to verify the preparer's identity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Thank you for question.  The 3rd party designee is something DIFFERENT than the preparer name and pin.  That information can be found by going in program to TOOLS and OPTIONS and selecting Firm/Preparer info.

Does your preparer name and information display there?  If so, you may want to contact support and get clarification.  If that information wasn't flowing your return would most likely be rejected.  Is that the case?  

You should be able to get more information on the reject reason in viewing your reject.

Sounds like you were both talking about 2 different things?
0 Cheers
MadTaxMan
Level 1
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) I know what third party designee is what information should be sent to the IRS.   Last year in that section of the information worksheet, the program would automatically put the name of the preparer and  that preparer's ERO Practitioner Pin.    This year the program says if the paid preparer is the 3rd party designee do not complete the designee information on the worksheet.   So I'm assuming the program is suppose to fill it in when the return is being transmitted.  It didn't do that when I call the IRS to check on a client return. The rep said it was blank.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Ah, I see, thank you for the clarification. I'll see if I can find anything out about this
0 Cheers
MadTaxMan
Level 1
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr)  Did they fix this with the last update?  Will the IRS still give us information on the clients that were sent with the blank information?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I don't see a space for the ERO Practitioner PIN on the new 1040 like it had in previous years

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@Just Lisa Now! Because it's no longer needed on F.1040, unless Sch 6 is completed to designate someone other than the preparer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1:  I never quite understood the ERO PIN thing for identification purposes...if anyone had a copy of the return it would show it on the printout and they could still pretend to be the preparer.:+1:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
MadTaxMan
Level 1
@Just Lisa Now! It's looks like they fixed this today because the 3rd party designee is working like it did last year.  Some people including me have had it generate an error today. It has now seem to resolve itself.  
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

This is in accordance with the filing instructions for the new F.1040.  You only need to check the box to authorize the preparer as third party designee and it says specifically not to complete Sch 6, which is for foreign address and third party designee info.

Interestingly, though, it no longer requires a PIN, so the IRS must be using something else to verify the preparer's identity.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
MadTaxMan
Level 1
@itonewbie  They verified me by asking for my PTIN number which is on every return you print.  So anybody can pretend to be the preparer.  That's why I trying to see if this is a glitch or just how the system works now.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I understand but verification of preparer identity is something the IRS has been (or, rather, has problem) grappling with.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers