Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Turbo tax allow people to use the 2106 employees deductions?

Keron
Level 1

I have customers asking why they can't take employee deductions from the 2106.  They have friends who filed their returns with turbo tax and it allowed them to take the deductions. Some have talked to CPA's that said they are able to take the deductions.  Please help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Some states still allow them, so there is still a place to enter them on Schedule A.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Some states still allow them, so there is still a place to enter them on Schedule A.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
And having spent more than a fair share of my time over I the TurboTax message boards, I can just about guarantee that the majority of people using it have NO clue what they get deductions for and what they don't....so someone's friend that uses TurboTax is hardly what I would call a reliable source of information.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Lol....yeah, I highly doubt TT is ALLOWING 2016 expense deductions. I would think TT would be in trouble for doing so. As Lisa mentioned some states did not conform.
0 Cheers
Keron
Level 1
Thank you for your answer.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, I have a new client this year who insisted that she got a charitable contribution deduction in 2017 for all the stuff she donated to Goodwill.  Said she spent 2 hours entering everything into TT last year.  I looked at the return and she had no Sch A and a standard deduction on the 1040.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:joy:   :joy:

0 Cheers
Keron
Level 1
Thank you all or your input I was to the point of pulling out my hair..
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
We don't want you to do that -------------- it's too cold outside this time of year :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe their friends should come over to see you since you are evidently doing it right.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Having a 2106 in a return means nothing because the form still exists for a few categories of employees but the line items are limited to meals and travel as well as vehicular expenses.

There's no way they could report 2% misc I/D on an approved 2106.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers